Amrit MacIntyre is a partner in the Sydney office of Baker McKenzie where he focuses on taxation planning and advisory work. He is one of Australia's most prominent tax lawyers and is a member of the Australian Taxation Office Public Rulings Panel and chairperson of Office of State Revenue/Taxation Institute of Australia Liaison Committee. Amrit is recognised as a leading practitioner in Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia Pacific, International Tax Review's World Tax, International Tax Review's Indirect Tax Leaders Guide, International Tax Review's Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, PLC Which Lawyer?, Tax Directors Handbook and The Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers in Australia.
Amrit's practice focus is advising on stamp duty, GST and other indirect taxes for a range of transactions including the establishment of property funds, acquisitions of commercial, retail and residential property, cross-border investment and commerce, secured and unsecured financing, corporate floats, trusts and dealings in shares, units and other marketable securities, and environment related transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Australian property trusts on the establishment of property funds.
- Advising mining companies on indirect taxes including stamp duty, GST and MRRT.
- Advising ASX-listed entities on major restructurings, capital raisings and takeovers.
- Offering structured tax advice to companies engaged in initial public offerings.
- Advising on cross-border commerce including e-commerce.
- Acting for international hotel groups on the disposal of Australian hotel assets.
- Advising on cross-border trade and investment.
- Best Lawyer - Tax, The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia, 2013-2018
- Leading Individual - Tax, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2011-2018
- Leading Individual, International Tax Review's World Tax, 2009-2016
- Leading Individual - Tax, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2008-2018
- Leading Individual - Tax, Euromoney’s Expert Guides, 2016
- Leading Indirect Tax Practitioner, International Tax Review's Indirect Tax Leaders Guide, 2013-2017
- Leading Lawyer, Tax Directors Handbook, 2010-2016
- Leading Tax Controversy Practitioner, International Tax Review's Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- The Tax Institute - Chartered Taxation Advisor
- New South Wales~Australia (1987)
- University of Sydney (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Sydney (B.A.) (1985)