Lisa Ma is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Tax Practice Group.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked in a global bank as its in-house senior legal counsel. She provided legal support to the bank’s private trust business, and advised on extensive range of legal issues and risks faced by the bank and trustee company.
Lisa's practice focuses on private wealth management and estate planning for high-net worth individuals. She advises financial institutions, independent trustee companies and family offices on matters in relation to their operations and businesses, as well as trust planning and restructuring. She also advises on Hong Kong tax, stamp duty and charity law issues. She works closely with different jurisdictions to formulate advice on cross-border issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising ultra-high net worth individuals in succession planning, trust establishment and/or restructuring in light of changes in family circumstances and recent legal developments.
- Advising family offices of ultra-high net worth Asian families on family governance and various cross-border legal issues, including but not limited to tax and stamp duty, regulatory compliance, etc.
- Advising major financial institutions on wealth management related matters, including but not limited to advice on transfer of trusteeship, providing regular legislative and regulatory updates, drafting documentation (e.g. trust deeds) for implementing wealth management solutions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Public Accountants - Member
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants - Member
- Hong Kong (2010)
- University of Hong Kong (LL.B.)
- University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.)