Derek has extensive experience in all forms of mergers and acquisitions, representing clients from strategic acquirers to private equity sponsors to venture-backed start-ups. He has handled a range of transactions from public company sale processes to asset carve-outs to SPAC acquisitions to purchases of distressed companies. He also has experience with minority investments, joint ventures and shareholder activism. His primary focus is in the technology and life sciences sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Derek handled the following matters:
- Advised Woodward in its USD 6.4 billion merger of equals with Hexcel.
- Advised CA Technologies in its USD 19 billion sale to Broadcom.
- Advised LiveRamp in its USD 2 billion divestiture of its marketing services business to IPG.
- Advised Barracuda Networks in its USD 1.6 billion sale to Thoma Bravo.
- Advised Neotract in its up to USD 1.1 billion sale to Teleflex.
- Advised Brocade Communication Systems in its USD 5.9 billion sale to Broadcom.
- Advised Polycom in its USD 2 billion sale to Siris Capital.
- Advised Pharmacyclics in its USD 21 billion sale to AbbVie.
- Advised Microchip Technology in its USD 3.56 billion acquisition of Atmel.
- Advised Technicolor in its USD 600 million acquisition of Cisco’s connected devices division.
- Rising Star in Northern California, Super Lawyers, 2015 - 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- California~United States (2014)
- Columbia University School of Law (JD)
- Harvard College (BA)