Derek Kwan is an associate principal in the Funds Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He advises on the structuring, formation and operation of a broad range of closed-end funds and private investment vehicles, covering private equity, venture capital, real estate and other asset classes. Derek relocated to and has been based in Singapore since mid-2015, after close to eight years in the Firm's Hong Kong office where he was a special counsel in the Private Funds Group.
Derek's practice focuses on private investment funds, with an emphasis on private real estate funds. He advises managers on the structuring and formation of a variety of fund vehicles including blind pool funds, clubs, co-investment funds, high net worth feeders, consortiums, joint ventures, separate accounts and other bespoke private investment vehicles suited to their investment programs. His practice also covers acting for pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors on their fund investments and co-investments. Derek also advises our fund manager clients on sponsor-related matters including establishment of fund management businesses and joint ventures, operating agreements, shareholder agreements, co-sponsor arrangements and carried interest plans.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised APG, NPS and CBREGI on the formation of a consortium vehicle, and its buy-out of a private equity real estate fund (from over 20 institutional investors) which owns a trophy property in Asia.
- Advised AREA Capital on the formation of AREA Industrial Development Fund I LP, a Malaysia focused private equity real estate fund.
- Advised BEA Union on the formation of an innovative feeder fund, and its investment in an Asia Pacific focused parallel real estate fund managed by Apollo Global Real Estate.
- Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Limited on its joint venture with ICBC International to establish a fund management platform, and the formation of Harmony China Real Estate Funds I and II, both China focused private equity real estate funds.
- Advised CPPIB on its investment in Vankic China Real Estate Fund, a China-focused private equity real estate fund managed by China Vanke and Kinetic Investment.
- Advised Evergreen Real Estate Partners/M3 Capital on the formation of Everview Capital Partners LP, the group’s new pan-Asia real estate investment management platform.
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners on the formation Gateway Real Estate Funds II, III and IV, all pan-Asia private equity real estate funds and various co-investment funds.
- Advised Godrej Fund Management on the formation of GRIP II, an India focused private equity real estate fund established to co-invest with Godrej Properties in residential projects.
- Advised Jen Capital Advisors on the formation of various Vietnam focused real estate funds.
- Advised SK Group on the establishment of a joint venture global fund management platform, and on the formation of Prostar Global Natural Resources Fund I and Prostar Global Energy Infrastructure Fund I.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore (2006)
- Board of Legal Education Singapore (Post Graduate Course) (2005)
- National University of Singapore (Graduate Diploma Singapore Law) (2005)
- University of Exeter (LL.B.) (2004)
- Hong Kong