Derek Kwan is a principal of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow and co-leads the Firm’s Singapore Funds Practice. He specialises in private investment funds and advises on the structuring, formation and operation of a broad range of closed-end funds and private investment vehicles, covering private equity, venture capital, real estate and other asset classes.
Derek's practice focuses on fund formation. With over 15 years of private funds experience acquired in the Singapore and Hong Kong markets, Derek has advised on the structuring and formation of all types of private funds vehicles including conventional blind pools, clubs, co-investment funds, parallel sidecars, high net worth feeders, investment platforms, consortiums, strategic partnerships, joint ventures, separate accounts, captive funds, CVC programs and other bespoke investment structures. As part of his formation-focused practice, Derek also regularly advises on sponsor-related issues including the set-up of new fund management businesses, establishment of joint venture fund management platforms, co-sponsor arrangements and carried interest plans, and works with our regulatory and tax specialists to provide holistic solutions to GP clients.
His practice also covers acting for pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, financial institutions and other institutional investors on their fund investments and co-investments, and on the establishment of strategic investment partnerships with operators.
Derek is recognised in leading legal directories Chambers Asia-Pacific, Legal 500 Asia Pacific and IFLR1000 for his work in the investment funds space, and for his particular strength in private real estate funds.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised APG, NPS and CBREGI on the formation of a consortium vehicle, and its buy-out of CBRE Asia Retail Fund (from over 20 institutional investors) which owns a trophy property in Asia.
- Advised AREA Advisors on the formation of AREA Industrial Development Fund I, a Malaysia-focused private equity real estate fund.
- Advised BEA Union on its strategic partnership and formation of a high-net-worth feeder fund, and the fund's investment in an Asia Pacific-focused parallel real estate fund managed by Apollo Global Real Estate.
- Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Limited on its joint venture with ICBC International to establish a co-sponsored fund management platform, and the formation of Harmony China Real Estate Funds I and II, both China-focused private equity real estate funds.
- Advised Eastbridge Partners on the establishment of a joint venture fund management platform with OMINVEST, and the formation of Jabreen Eastbridge SEA Fund, a mid-cap Southeast Asia-focused private equity fund which comprises conventional and Shariah-compliant parallel funds.
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners on the formation of Gateway Real Estate Funds II, III and IV, all pan-Asia private equity real estate funds and various co-investment funds.
- Advised Godrej Fund Management on the formation of various India-focused real estate funds including GRIP II (a residential development fund), Godrej Office Fund I (a core and core-plus office fund) and GBTC I (a build-to-core office investment platform).
- Advised M3 Capital on the formation of Everview Capital Partners, a private investment platform (backed by a US pension plan) which serves as the group’s new platform for its pan-Asia real estate investment management business.
- Advised SK Group on the establishment of a joint venture global fund management platform with a team of senior energy and infrastructure investment professionals, and the formation of Prostar Global Natural Resources Fund I and Prostar Global Energy Infrastructure Fund I.
- Advised Vickers Venture Partners on the formation of Vickers Venture Funds V and VI, both global venture capital funds and the establishment of an innovative co-investment platform.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore (2006)
- Board of Legal Education Singapore (Post Graduate Course) (2005)
- National University of Singapore (Graduate Diploma Singapore Law) (2005)
- University of Exeter (LL.B.) (2004)
- Hong Kong