Alexander Korobeinikov is a partner at the Kazakhstan office of Baker McKenzie. He specializes in dispute resolution, energy and natural resources, and antitrust and competition issues. Alexander has wide experience participating in litigation in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Central Asia, as well as in international arbitration cases in accordance with the arbitration rules of the ICAC, UNCITRAL, ICC, SCC, LCIA and other arbitration institutions, as both a party counsel and arbitrator.
Alexander is ranked as a leading individual in dispute resolution by Chambers and Legal 500 reporting, "He's enriching their team immensely; he has a lot of experience in arbitration." He is also recommended by Who's Who Arbitration 2018 as Expert.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a local subsidiary of one of the biggest Russian oil and gas companies in the Supreme Court of Kazakhstan on the court proceedings regarding cancelation of the local arbitral award.
- Represented the biggest Kazakhstani state-owned gas supply and transport company, KazTransGas JSC, in an investment dispute with Georgia, relating to investments in KazTransGasTbilisi LLP.
- Represented a major Estonian construction company, Windoor AS, in its dispute with several Kazakhstani companies, concerning the import of construction materials into Kazakhstan.
- Represented Visor Holding (a major Kazakhstani investment group) in investment arbitration against the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Republic of Kyrgyzstan. Visor Holding decided to launch an investment claim against the Government of Kyrgyzstan after expropriation of its gold project (assets) in 2012.
- Represented affiliates of one of the major Kazakhstani cement holdings, United Cement Group Plc, in different civil and criminal proceedings in Uzbekistan and advised ultimate owners of this holding in the investment arbitration proceedings against Uzbekistan, arising out of expropriation of their investments.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Arbitration Court, Republic of Kyrgyzstan - Arbitrator
- International ArbitrationCouret at BelTPP - Arbitrator
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- CIS Non-commercial Partnership - Head, Kazakhstani Supporting Competition
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (Paris) - Member
- ICC European Arbitration Group (Paris) - Member
- SCC Young Arbitrators Stockholm - Member
- Kazakstan~Kazakhstan (2003)
- Queen Mary, University of London (LL.M.) (2012)
- Belarusian State University (LL.B. Honors) (2003)
Author, "Topical Issues in Protection of Taxpayers in Courts Zanger," RK Law Bulletin, No. 4 (213) 2019.
Co-author, "About Competition Law in EUU," student training manual and for higher institutions, January 2019.
"New rules for examination of disputes in Uzbekistan," expert opinion, June 2018.
Author, Encyclopedia of International Commercial Litigation, Kluwer Law International, 2015
Author, Baker & McKenzie International Arbitration Yearbook 2011-2012, Juris, 2012.
Author, Baker & McKenzie Antimonopoly Regulations Yearbook 2008, Kazakhstan Overview, 2008.
Author, "Some Questions of 'Arbitrability' of Disputes Arising out of Bankruptcy Proceedings," Arbitration Court Journal, 2 (38), 2005.
Author, "Resolution of Disputes in Arbitration Courts 'ex aequo et bono' in Belarus," Lomonosov-2005.