Alexander Korobeinikov is a counsel in the Almaty office of Baker & McKenzie. He focuses on dispute resolution, energy and natural resources, and antitrust and competition issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a consortium of major international construction companies in a dispute under ICC rules regarding the construction of an airport in Kazakhstan. This is one of the largest construction disputes in Kazakhstan. The project volume is approximately USD64 million.
- Acting as local legal counsel of a major US power company in connection with a large investment dispute related to alleged violations of investment rights by numerous state Kazakh authorities, including antimonopoly authorities, tax authorities, police, and courts.
- Successfully representing a major Japanese electronics company in connection with litigation in Kazakhstan related to the illegal use of a domain name. This was a pioneer case in Kazakhstan court practice regarding infringement on the internet.
- Advising the subsidiary of a leading international steel producer in connection with a dispute related to the ownership of assets acquired under one of the largest privatization agreements in Kazakhstan.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Advising a local petroleum company on its due diligence project.
- Advising a major energy corporation regarding new energy tariff regulations.
- Advising an international services company in connection with obtaining a work permit for a foreign employee.
Antitrust & Competition
- Obtaining anti-monopoly clearances for Heineken International in connection with the consolidation of its business with Efes Breweries in Kazakhstan. The transaction involved the sale of 100 percent participatory interest in Dinal LLP by Heineken International and its acquisition of 28 percent of shares in Efes Karaganda Brewery JSC.
- Advising the subsidiaries of AES on their relations with antimonopoly authorities in Kazakhstan.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Arbitration Court, Republic of Kyrgyzstan - Arbitrator
- International ArbitrationCouret at BelTPP - Arbitrator
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- CIS Non-commercial Partnership - Head, Kazakhstani Supporting Competition
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (Paris) - Member
- ICC European Arbitration Group (Paris) - Member
- SCC Young Arbitrators Stockholm - Member
- Kazakstan~Kazakhstan (2003)
- Queen Mary, University of London (LL.M.) (2012)
- Belarusian State University (LL.B. Honors) (2003)
Author, Encyclopedia of International Commercial Litigation, Kluwer Law International, 2015
Author, Baker & McKenzie International Arbitration Yearbook 2011-2012, Juris, 2012
Author, Baker & McKenzie Antimonopoly Regulations Yearbook 2008, Kazakhstan Overview, 2008
Author, "Some Questions of 'Arbitrability' of Disputes Arising out of Bankruptcy Proceedings," Arbitration Court Journal, 2 (38), 2005
Author, "Resolution of Disputes in Arbitration Courts 'ex aequo et bono' in Belarus," Lomonosov-2005