Prof. Dr. Joachim Frick, LL.M./J.S.D., returned to Baker McKenzie Zurich in 1997 after practicing with Baker McKenzie in Taipei and Chicago. He became a partner in 2001. His main areas of practice are dispute resolution, corporate law and insurance. Prof. Frick represents clients as a party counsel in litigation and arbitration proceedings with special emphasis on corporate, insurance, aviation and M&A disputes. He heads the insurance practice of the Zurich office and co-heads the European Financial Services & Insurance Group as a steering committee member. He advises Swiss and international insurance and reinsurance clients in litigious and non-litigious insurance matters and was named one of the leading insurance lawyers in Switzerland by Who is Who' Legal and the IBA's Who is Who of Business Lawyers. Joachim Frick is a professor of law at Zurich University (Titularprofessor) and regularly teaches and publishes in the areas of private international law, arbitration and insurance. He is a member and regular speaker in various professional organizations concerning arbitration and insurance laws. He is a graduate of Zurich University (Dr. iur. 1992) and Yale Law School (LL.M. 1996, J.S.D. 2000).
Prof. Frick practices mainly in dispute resolution, corporate law and insurance. He represents clients as a party counsel in litigation and arbitration proceedings with special emphasis on corporate and M&A disputes. In addition, Prof. Frick advises insurance and reinsurance companies on legal and regulatory matters and represents clients in corporate, insurance and reinsurance disputes. He also regularly advises clients on aviation law and aircraft financing transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of client in shareholder dispute in various court proceedings.
- Representation of foreign manufacturer in arbitration under a licensing agreement.
- Representation of Swiss seller in arbitration concerning warranty claims under share purchase agreement.
- Representation of insurance client regarding proceedings with FINMA.
- Representation of Swiss and foreign insurance carriers in litigation proceedings concerning reinsurance and coverage issues.
- Multijurisdictional survey on insurance regulatory matters.
- Representation of Swiss bank in aircraft finance transaction.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ius Alumni Zurich
- Yale Club of Switzerland
- Yale Club of New York
- Zurich Bar Association
- Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Swiss Bar Association
- New York~United States (1997)
- Switzerland (1994)
- University of Zurich (Titular Professor) (2007)
- Yale Law School (J.S.D.) (2002)
- Yale Law School (LL.M.) (1995)
- University of Zurich (Dr. iur.) (1992)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (1989)
- Freies Gynmasium Zurich (Matura) (1984)