Prof. Dr. Joachim Frick, LL.M./J.S.D. practices mainly in the areas of dispute resolution, insurance and corporate law and became a partner in 2001. He regularly represents clients as a party counsel in litigation and arbitration proceedings with special emphasis on corporate, insurance, and M&A disputes. He heads the insurance practice of the Zurich office and co-heads the European Financial Services & Insurance Group as a steering committee member. He advises Swiss and international insurance and reinsurance clients in litigious and non-litigious insurance matters and was named one of the leading insurance lawyers in Switzerland by Who is Who' Legal and the IBA's Who is Who of Business Lawyers.
In addition to practicing as a lawyer, Joachim Frick regularly teaches as a professor of law at Zurich University (Titularprofessor). He is a member and regular speaker in various professional organizations concerning his areas of practice. He is a graduate of Zurich University (Dr. iur. 1992) and Yale Law School (LL.M. 1996, J.S.D. 2000) and has practiced with Baker McKenzie Taipei and Chicago.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of client in shareholder dispute in various court proceedings.
- Representation of foreign manufacturer in arbitration under a licensing agreement.
- Representation of Swiss seller in arbitration concerning warranty claims under share purchase agreement.
- Representation of insurance client in proceedings with FINMA.
- Representation of Swiss and foreign insurance carriers in litigation proceedings concerning reinsurance and coverage issues.
- Multijurisdictional survey on insurance regulatory matters.
- Representation of Swiss bank in aircraft finance transaction.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ius Alumni Zurich
- Yale Club of Switzerland
- Yale Club of New York
- ASA Swiss Arbitration Association
- DIS German Institution of Arbitration
- Liechtenstein Arbitration Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- ASDA Swiss Insurance Association
- ASDA/SVLR Swiss Association for Air and Space Law
- Swiss Bar Association
- New York~United States (1997)
- Switzerland (1994)
- University of Zurich (Titular Professor) (2007)
- Yale Law School (J.S.D.) (2002)
- Yale Law School (LL.M.) (1995)
- University of Zurich (Dr. iur.) (1992)
- University of Zurich (lic. iur.) (1989)
- Freies Gymnasium Zurich (Matura) (1984)
Co-author, Yearbook in International Arbitration – Chapter Switzerland, Baker McKenzie, 2020
Co-author, The New Swiss Financial Market Architecture, Zurich 2020
Speaker "The Impact of COVID-19 on Insurance Practice," Webinar July 2020
Speaker "Insurtech: The State of Play and Legal Limits," Baker McKenzie Client Briefings March 2020
Speaker, "Financial Services – Fit for 2020?" Baker McKenzie Financial Services Lunch Briefing, January 2020