Carmel is an associate with Baker McKenzie, Sydney and practices in all aspects of employment law with a focus on modern award coverage and compliance. She also has significant experience in advising clients on human resources and industrial relations issues and employment related litigation.
Carmel joined the Firm's Employment and Industrial Relations Group in October 2019. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in house as Legal Counsel - Employment and prior to that as associate to Judge Manousaridis, Federal Circuit Court of Australia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising clients across a broad range of industries on general employment and industrial law issues including termination, restructures, redundancy and performance management;
- Advising on and defending general employment-related litigation including unfair dismissal and adverse action claims, breach of contract claims and discrimination claims;
- Advising on industrial instrument (Modern Awards and Enterprise Agreements) coverage including classification and minimum entitlements;
- Advising on National Employment Standards including annual leave, personal leave, parental leave, long service leave and requests for flexible working arrangements;
- Drafting employment agreements and workplace policies;
- Advising on transaction-related employment issues in the context of both asset and share sales;
- Advising on handling of workplace complaints and disputes, including grievance procedures, policies and investigations;
- Reviewing and advising on independent contractor arrangements and potential sham contracting or misclassification claims.
- New South Wales~Australia (2013)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (GDLP)) (2013)
- University College Cork (B.C.L.) (2009)