Michael Fitzgerald is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Transactional Practice Group and is based in the New York office. Prior to joining the Firm, Michael served as head of the Latin America practice group at another international law firm.
As one of the first US lawyers to focus on corporate work in Latin America and a prominent thought leader, he has authored countless articles and lent his expertise on seminars involving international financial markets as well as relevant legal and business challenges and opportunities.
Michael is recognized as a Band 1 leading lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and Chambers Latin America; and is recognized by The Legal 500 US as one of the leading lawyers in the US for Global Offerings and other corporate financings. Michael is a thought leader on a variety of issues involving international financial markets and has authored numerous articles and presented seminars on related legal and business challenges and opportunities.
Chambers Latin America International has awarded Michael more Band 1 rankings for Capital Markets work than any other US lawyer. Michael is also the only US lawyer to be ranked by Chambers Latin America as Band 1 in both Capital Markets and Banking and Finance.
- Band 1 - Chambers Global Latin America-International Counsel Banking & Finance 2022-2023
- Band 1 - Chambers Global Latin America-International Counsel Capital Markets 2022-2023
- Recipient - Outstanding Achievement Award by the International Financial Law Review 2017
- Recognized - Band 1 Leading Lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America
- Recognized - Leading Lawyers in the US for Global Offerings and Financing by the Legal 500 US
- Named one of eight most innovative lawyers in the US, Financial Times
- Named one of six MVPS in Securities & Capital Markets work, Law360
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association Committee on Securities Laws, American Bar - Member
- Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice Initiatives - Committee Member
- New York
- Fordham University School of Law (JD) (1979)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (BA) (1976)
- Co-Editor/Co-Author of the Introduction thereto, "The Guide to Restructuring," Latin Lawyer, October 2021
- Presenter, Latin Lawyer GRR Restructuring Summit, June 2017
- Presenter, REDD Latin America High Yield & Distressed Fall Summit, September 2016
- Presenter, Latin Lawyer GRR Restructuring Summit, June 2016
- Co-Author, "Mexico's Energy Industry Gushes with Investment Opportunity," Financial Times, 31 December 2014
- Author, "Tracing the Sources of Latin America's Economic Boom," Latin American Law & Business Report
- Author, "Venture Capitalists Look to Mexico and Latin America," North American Free Trade & Investment Report, 15 January 2010