Laurent Fessmann is the managing partner of Baker McKenzie's Luxembourg office and a member of the Firm's Global Funds Steering Committee. He started his career in 1996 as in-house counsel in a French CAC40-listed company where he worked intensively on LBO transactions, capital markets and corporate law matters. Mr. Fessmann joined a top 10 Luxembourg business law firm where he became a partner prior to founding his own law firm in 2009. He is a recognized professional in Legal 500 and Chambers. He takes part in several working groups at local market industry associations like ALFI, ABBL, LPEA and the Association of Global Custodians and is also a regulator at fund conferences such as ALFI, IBCI and regularly invited to speak on internal or bank seminars.
Mr. Fessmann has 22 years’ experience in business law highlighted by significant experience in fund structuring and asset management including formation and ongoing assistance of investment funds in a variety of asset classes (private equity, hedge funds, real estate). He advises asset managers and global custodians on regulatory issues and acts for them in the creation of asset management companies and regulated entities active in the financial sector. He also provides fund raising solutions in the securitization business and the debt capital markets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises three multibillion US-based global asset managers on fund formation and ongoing compliance issues in the real estate and private equity sectors.
- Acts for a London-based asset management bank in the implementation of private equity funds in various asset classes (debt funds, PE/VC and renewable energy).
- Regularly engaged by European and Asian institutional investors in their LP due diligence and investment processes.
- Acts for the three biggest French asset management firms in the set-up of UCITS and alternative funds in Luxembourg.
- Represented an Australian asset manager of a Luxembourg UCITS fund.
- Strasbourg~France (2006)
- Luxembourg (2006)