Noor El Gohary
Noor El-Gohary is an associate at within Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution practice group. She has represented and advised a multitude of leading multinational companies, with a specific focus on civil, tax and commercial litigation, white collar defense and investigations, compliance and other complex commercial disputes with particular interest in telecom and tech. Noor is highly skilled in dispute project management, targeted discovery focused at securing key evidence required to resolve the most complex cases, efficient settlement and communication with key stakeholders.
Noor received her LL.B. degree from German University in Cairo in 2020 after graduating with Honors and being ranked among the top five students. Over the course of her experience she has authored many legal publications.
Representative Legal Matters
Dispute Resolution and Compliance
- Representing a tech giant in a VAT challenge related to the application of VAT on exported services.
- Representing an electronics company in a WHT challenge related to the application of WHT on late payment charges, defense constituted the application of (3) different Double Taxation Treaties.
- Representing an international hotel in an income tax challenge related to the certification of hotel management expenses.
- Representing a Turkish glass manufacturing subsidiary in an income tax challenge related to the overestimation of revenue by the Egyptian Tax Authority.
- Representing an American food manufacturing subsidiary in two income tax challenges related to the non-certification of a tax exemption by the Egyptian Tax Authority.
- Representing a Tech Giant in a tax evasion prosecution, the charges were successfully dropped.
- Advising a Turkish textile company on capital gains tax resulting from the sale of shares in an Egyptian subsidiary.
- Representing a Russian multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider in a litigation claim against its former distributor in Egypt.
- Representing a Bahraini investment bank in claiming a promissory note valued at 35 million USD and related dispute resulting from a Murabha agreement.
- Representing an American global online video sharing and social media platform in an IP infringement litigation.
- Class Rank 1st - German University in Cairo, 2019
- Honorable Mention - Shalakany Arbitration Moot, 2018
- Best Delegate - Cairo International Model United Nations, UNWomen, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Egyptian Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Egyptian Sexual Harassment, Assault and Rape Shield law issued in 2020
- Inclusion of women in the Public Prosecution, Judiciary and State Council - 2021
- Egypt (2021)
- German University in Cairo (LLB with honors, Ranked among Top 5 students) (2020)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, "Arbitration In Egypt," Kluwer Arbitration, 2021
- Co-author, "ISDS Reform: Procedural vs. Substantive," Juris Conference, 2021
- Author, "Women's Rights in the Workplace," Cairo Bulletin, 2021
- Editor, "Women In Law," THE LAW Magazine, Special Edition, 2021
- Featured in ABC News Coverage " Amid pandemic, 'Me Too' comes to Egypt," 2021
- Featured in National Egyptian TV Show, ElDameer hosted by Dr. Hala Fahmy on combatting discrimination against women in Judicial Institutions