Michael Duffy is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago and New York offices. He has significant in-court experience and has tried proceedings (jury trials, arbitrations and others) through to final resolution. He has represented a broad selection of clients in various fields ranging from manufacturers, private equity firms, auditors, and oil and gas companies. Prior to joining the Firm, Michael clerked for Chief Judge Joel M. Flaum of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and was a partner in the Chicago office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP.
Michael focuses his practice on litigation and arbitration. He has represented prominent private equity firms and their affiliated companies in a host of disputes, top-tier auditing firms in malpractice claims, oil and gas firms in an array of claims, manufacturers in franchise and other litigation. Michael has also advised large public companies in securities, ERISA, and consumer class actions, and directors, officers, and boards of directors of public companies in connection with litigation and governmental investigations against them. Michael is fluent in Spanish and frequently represents Latin American and Spanish clients in domestic and international disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Served as lead trial counsel for a large private equity firm, securing a full defense verdict in the Firm’s first-ever trial.
- Served as lead counsel on a large fraudulent conveyance action seeking in excess of USD 100 million in damages against a large private equity firm.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a patent infringement dispute, securing judgment in the client’s favor.
- Served as co-lead counsel in an ICC arbitration matter for a large Fortune 100 client, presenting witnesses in English and Spanish, and securing a successful award on the client’s behalf.
- Served as trial counsel to a large Spanish oil company involved in 300-party environmental litigation seeking damages in excess of USD 3 billion.
- Served as trial counsel to a large automobile manufacturer in a nationwide litigation over the phase-out of one of its divisions; trying the first phase-out case to a successful verdict.
- Served as trial counsel to a large auditing firm in a successful arbitration defeating claims in excess of USD 100 million.
- Served as trial counsel in numerous arbitration proceedings tried to resolution, related to a large automobile manufacturer’s termination of over 65 non-performing dealers.
- Served as trial counsel in a large international arbitration matter (ICC) tried to resolution between two multinational defense contractors.
- Served as trial counsel to a large, top-tier auditing firm in securities litigation and cross-border governmental investigations relating to an international media conglomerate's alleged securities fraud.
- Named Illinois Super Lawyer, 2013 - 2018
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit~United States (2014)
- New York~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2006)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2000)
- Illinois~United States (2000)
- Northwestern University School of Law (JD) (2000)
- Boston College (AB summa cum laude) (1996)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.