Debra A. Dandeneau is chair of Baker McKenzie's Global Restructuring and Insolvency Group and chair of its North America Restructuring and Insolvency Group. Her practice focuses on business reorganizations and debtor and creditors’ rights.
Debra has been ranked by The Best Lawyers in America 2011-2017 in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and Litigation–Bankruptcy. She has also been recognized by Legal 500 US for Municipal Bankruptcy and Super Lawyers 2006-2017 for Bankruptcy. Super Lawyers has also named Debra among the 2017 Top Women for Bankruptcy Business in New York.
Debra has dealt with a variety of entities experiencing financial distress, across a range of industries. Over the course of her career, her work has included representations in the real estate, manufacturing, power generation, healthcare, municipal, retail, and service sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Debra's debtor representations include Aleris International, Armstrong World Industries, Brothers Gourmet Coffee, Daffy’s, Eagle-Picher Industries, Formica Corporation, LandSource Communities Development (Newhall Land & Farming), Magellan Health Services, Maidenform Corporation, Okeelanta Power Corporation, Petite Concepts, Sun Healthcare Group and Takata Corporation.
- She also has represented creditors and other parties in a number of high-profile bankruptcy cases, including in the Caesars chapter 11 cases, the MF Global cases, the Stockton and San Bernardino chapter 9 cases, the Homer City prepackaged chapter 11 case, and the Archdiocese of Portland and the Diocese of Spokane chapter 11 cases.
- "Top Women" for Bankruptcy: Business in New York, Super Lawyers, 2017
- "Super Lawyer" in Bankruptcy, Super Lawyers, 2006-2017
- Pro Bono Publico Award,The Legal Aid Society, 2008
- Recommended Lawyer in Municipal Bankruptcy in the US, Legal 500 US, 2015
- "Best Lawyer" in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation, Best Lawyers in America, 2011-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York Bar - Member
- Florida Bar - Member
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States
- Florida~United States
- New York~United States
- Columbia Law School (J.D. Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar) (1986)
- University of Miami (A.B. Magna cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa) (1983)