Emmanuel is a senior dispute resolution lawyer with expertise acting for multinational clients in complex, cross-border disputes and situations across Asia. He has recently been recognised by Asian Legal Business as one of Asia's Super 50 Disputes Lawyers.
Emmanuel acts in, coordinates and manages international arbitration and litigation processes across Asia, and regularly appears as lead counsel in these proceedings. He has particular expertise in distress situations, financial restructurings and formal insolvency processes (including schemes of arrangement, judicial management and liquidation), and has been featured on business media (including Bloomberg and The Business Times) for his perspectives in the space.
Emmanuel previously co-led the international disputes function in a US oil & gas supermajor, where he managed litigation and situations across Asia, Middle East, Europe and Africa.
Emmanuel works extensively on cross-border disputes and situations. His experience focusses on the Asia Pacific region where he has worked on a number of large and complex litigation and restructurings, collaborating with local counsel as necessary to achieve the client's commercial objectives. Leveraging off this depth of experience, Emmanuel also regularly advises on risk avoidance and mitigation strategies, including contingency planning and strategic advice, often from a cross-juridictional perspective.
Emmanuel has also been appointed as arbitrator in international arbitration proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Acting for an ad-hoc committee in the ongoing restructuring of the PT Modernland Realty group.
- Advised a North Asian bank on its exposure under a USD 450 million syndicated facility in relation to the restructuring of PT Royal Industries by way of an Indonesian PKPU proceeding.
- Advised PT Pertamina Persero in the high profile winding up of its trading arm, PETRAL, in Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Advised one of Taiwan's largest private banks on its potential exposures in Triyards Marine Services.
- Acted for two leading global banks in a series of Indonesian court proceedings arising out of a high profile default of a USD 70.7 million bond by a Dutch issuer.
International Arbitration and Litigation
- Acted for a Philippines conglomerate in a high value SIAC arbitration in a JV dispute relating to a national tollways projects in the Philippines.
- Acted for a US-listed pharma company in an SIAC arbitration (valued at over USD 300 million) relating to the development and commercialization of a new drug under a master research and licensing agreement
- Acted for a foreign public listed company in an Malaysia seated arbitration (valued at over USD 2 billion) against a Malaysian state government for breach of a development agreement
- Acted for the administrator of an estate in a complex series of litigation involving family arrangements and oral trust, involving trust assets in excess of SGD 60 million (Khoh Chen Yeh Shane v Seng Realty & Development and anor  SGHC 79)
Asia Super 50 Disputes Lawyers, 2021, Asian Legal Business
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Turnaround Management Association - Member
- Panel of Arbitrators (Reserve), Singapore International Arbitration Centre - Member
- Trainer, Trial Advocacy, Singapore Institute of Legal Education (for the Singapore Bar Examinations) - Member
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Singapore Arbitration Group - Member
- Singapore (2009)
- National University of Singapore (LLB, Honours) (2008)
- Co-author, "The Post-pandemic Restructuring Landscape - Three Trends from Asia," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 6 July 2021
- Contributor, "Interlocutory Applications, Arbitration in Singapore: A Practical Guide," Sweet & Maxwell, 2nd ed., 2018
- Contributor, "Indonesia Chapter, Financial Services Litigation, Getting the Deal Through (GTDT)," Lexology, 2018 ed.
- Contributor, "Singapore Chapter, Litigation Funding, Getting the Deal Through (GTDT)," Lexology, 2018 ed.
- Author, “Singapore’s New ‘Supercharged’ Scheme of Arrangement," 5 Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Finance Law 282, 2017
- Speaker, "Impartiality and the Choice of Arbitrators: A Practitioner’s Perspective," Keio University International Arbitration Symposium, 11 - 12 November 2019