Donemark acts and has acted as counsel or arbitrator in several commercial arbitrations, including arbitrations conducted under the arbitration rules of the PDRCI, the International Court of Arbitration (ICA) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the Philippine Construction Industry Arbitration Commission, and ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. He also lectures and writes on commercial arbitration.
Donemark has represented various multinational clients, including chemical manufacturing companies in several of the largest torts/product liability actions in the Philippines, mining corporations in mining/environment-related litigation, energy companies involved in commercial arbitration and tax litigation, airline companies in torts/quasi-delict actions, construction companies in arbitration, administrative and criminal proceedings, including proceedings before the World Bank’s Sanctions Board in Washington, DC, and other multinational corporations in regulatory proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Trade and Industry, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, and the Civil Aeronautics Board.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represent an online technology platform in several completed and ongoing proceedings, including court litigation, public hearings before national legislative bodies and proceedings before the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board.
- Represent a US-based multi-level marketing company in proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of Trade and Industry.
- Advise and represent two major international chemical companies in torts suits filed by banana plantation owners, which together possibly constitute the biggest damages/tort suits ever filed in the Philippines.
- Represent the Philippine branch of a Netherlands-based electronics company against claims made by a government-run medical institution in relation to an equipment supply contract.
- Represent a US-based solar energy company in an arbitration relating to breaches of joint venture and supply agreements.
- Advise a joint venture between two Japanese engineering and construction companies in connection with construction arbitration before the CIAC in relation to its claims against a Philippine government agency arising from an agreement to construct a local airport facility.
- Appointed as an arbitrator in an arbitration administered by the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC between a US-based private financial planning company and a Philippine-based publicly-listed property development firm involving claims under an equity line of credit agreement.
- Appointed as chairman of an arbitral tribunal in an ad hoc international arbitration, under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, between a Philippines-based trading and manufacturing company engaged in heavy metal scraps and a foreign company.
- Appointed as an arbitrator in an ad hoc international arbitration between a Philippines-based hatchery and the Philippine subsidiary of a Norway-based aquaculture company.
- Appointed as chair of the arbitral tribunal in a construction arbitration under the Arbitration Rules of the CIAC. The dispute involves claims for breach of contract for the supply of formworks against a local construction company.
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017-2018
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017-2018
- Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017-2018
- Market-Leading Lawyer for Dispute Resolution & Litigation, Asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines Arbitration Center – Executive Director (July 2017 - July 2019)
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Presidential Assistant on Alternative Dispute Resolution (July 2015 - June 2017)
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - President
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. - Accredited Arbitrator, Trustee and Officer
- Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration (AFIA), Philippine representative
- Construction Industry Arbitration Commission (CIAC). Accredited Arbitrator
- Wholesale Electricity Spot Market, Accredited Arbitrator
- Philippine Intellectual Property Office, Accredited Arbitrator
- Legal Management Council of the Philippines (LMCP) - Member
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (East Asia Branch), Philippine Chapter - Member (MCIArb)
- Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC) - User's Council Member
- Office for Alternative Dispute Resolution (OADR) -Technical Working Group on Amendments to Philippine Arbitration Law
- Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Member
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association - Member
- Philippines (2001)
- University of the Philippines (LL.B.) (2000)
- Immaculate Conception Major Seminary (A.B. Philosophy) (1995)