Murray Bowler is a consultant in Baker McKenzie’s Taipei office.
Mr. Bowler's practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, foreign investment (inbound to and outbound from Taiwan), banking, aircraft finance, structured and project finance, international bids and tenders, telecommunications, property investment and infrastructure projects (principally power and rail). His extensive experience also extends to taxation, construction, disputes and advising on general corporate and commercial matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions/Foreign Investment
- Acted in the proposed acquisition by regional power industry investor of a portfolio of Independent Power Producer companies (IPPs) situated throughout Asia. Acted for IPP company in connection with IPPs operating in Taiwan.
- Represented Chang Hwa Commercial Bank on various proposals (including for the issue of various securities) received from international and local bidders for a strategic stake in the Bank. Acted for the Bank in connection with Taishin Financial Holding Company Ltd.'s acquisition of a 22.5 percent stake in Chang Hwa Commercial Bank (July 2005).
- Represented E.Sun Financial Holdings Co., Ltd. in the acquisition by Asia Financial Holdings Limited, an investment-holding affiliate of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited, of a 15 percent shareholding interest in the client, structured as a private placement of convertible bonds and development of a strategic alliance relationship.
- Acquisition by Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited of ABN AMRO Bank's institutional, corporate, wealth management and retail businesses in Taiwan from the Royal Bank of Scotland Group and merger/ integration with ANZ. Represented ANZ (August 2009-May 2010).
Banking & Finance
- Acted for The International Commercial Bank of China on the NTD7 billion structured financing of the acquisition by Newbridge Syndicate of a strategic interest in Taishin International Bank (April 2006).
- Acted for Mega International Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. as facility agent and lender under a USD183 million Syndicated Term and Revolving Credit Facilities Agreement to a wholly-owned investment vehicle of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P to fund the acquisition of shares in a Taiwan Stock Exchange listed corporation (June 2007).
- Acted for Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank Co., Ltd. as arranger, facility agent and security agent of and lender under a USD132 million Syndicated Term Loan Facility extended to Fortuna Development Corporation and its group companies to refinance existing facilities and provide working capital for projects in Asia (December 2009).
- Represented Chung Hwa Telecom and the Government of the Republic of China on the sale by the Government of a 17 percent shareholding interest in Chung Hwa Telecom by way of ADRs, POWL and domestic issue. Largest securities transaction in Taiwan for 2005 (August 2005).
- Acting for sponsors/developers in relation to the development, financing, construction, operation and ongoing management of numerous gas-fired/coal-fired electric power plant projects in Taiwan including Kuo Kuang Power Company Limited, Everpower IPP Company Limited, Ho Bon Corporation and Ho Ping Power Company Limited. Also advising sponsors on Taiwan's Fourth Round IPP Participation in the power generation sector.
- Representing Macquarie International Infrastructure Fund Limited in its acquisition of a completed and operational Wind Farm in Miaoli, Taiwan including responsibility for advice on foreign investment approvals, regulatory approvals and other regulatory matters, assisting with issues relating to project financiers, O&M contractor, land owners, government off-taker and various regulators and advising on project restructuring. Continuing work on regulatory, compliance and general legal matters.
- Named Recognized Practitioner by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2023)
- Named Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2023)
- Named Leading Individual by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- Named Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded by IFLR1000 (2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- British Chamber of Commerce in Taipei - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei - Member
- Australia and New Zealand Chamber of Commerce in Taipei - Director
- New Zealand Law Society - Member
- Auckland District Law Society - Member
- New Zealand (1992)
- University of Auckland (LL.B., Honors) (1992)
- University of Auckland (Bachelor of Commerce) (1992)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.