Filip Boras heads the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in the Baker McKenzie Vienna office and is member of Baker McKenzie’s global International Arbitration Steering Committee. He is double qualified as an attorney in Austria and New York and represents clients in international arbitration proceedings before all major institutions and ad hoc tribunals. Filip is widely recognized as a leading lawyer for dispute resolution in Central and Eastern Europe. Chambers Global ranks Filip in its past eight editions for his "experience in matters relating to CEE countries" which "distinguishes him as one of the experts for this region." Clients tell Chambers that they value his work for his "great insights and impressive strategic approach" and because "he understands our needs without many words." One client says to Chambers: "He is the lawyer we trusted for the most important proceedings our business ever had." Filip is an advisory board member and former co-chair of the Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) and executive committee member of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Filip's experience covers a wide variety of disputes related to Central & Eastern Europe, including international commercial and investment arbitration. He helps global clients when investing in countries of the former Yugoslavia, where his clients benefit from his region-specific experience and his being a native Serbo-Croatian. His experience from representing clients in post-merger and acquisition disputes and corporate disputes, including issues arising from restructuring and insolvency, gives him a good commercial understanding. He has acted on investor-state disputes under ICSID, UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules, as well as under the ICC Arbitration Rules. He often advises investors on treaty planning, and leveraging international protections in the context of government interference.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a national railway company in an ICC arbitration over the construction of a major strategic railway track.
- Represented an Asian real estate fund in a post M&A arbitration under the ICC Rules.
- Represented a state entity from Southeastern Europe in an ICC arbitration over the early termination of a concession agreement.
- Represented in a post-M&A arbitration over the ownership of a leading food industry company under the Swiss Rules.
- Represented the meat processing company Gavrilović in the first ever ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Croatia.
- Represented a client in post-M&A arbitration under the Vienna Rules arising out of an investment on the Croatian coast, including a successful defense in setting aside proceedings before the Austrian Supreme Court.
- Acted for an Asian publicly listed company in a post-M&A dispute in the power industry under the Vienna Rules.
- Represented gas companies in contract price revision disputes involving long-term supply, transportation and storage agreements under various institutional rules and in ad-hoc proceedings.
- Represented a bank in arbitration involving the effects of insolvency on arbitration in Eastern Europe.
- Advised a US company in the settlement of a multinational product liability dispute.
- Represented shareholders in a corporate dispute under the Swiss Rules.
- Represented a group of shareholders in a corporate ad hoc arbitration involving a major Austrian company.
- Foreign Expertise for Central & Eastern Europe (Dispute Resolution), Spotlight Table, Chambers Global 2014-2023
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Austria), Chambers Global 2022/2023 and Chambers Europe 2022-2023
- Recommended by Who's Who Legal, Global Guide, Arbitration 2022
- Amongst 14 "Most Highly Regarded" Partners in EMEA, Future Leaders, Arbitration, Who's Who Legal 2021
- The Arbitration Powerlist 2021: Central and Eastern Europe, The Legal 500
- Next generation partners in dispute resolution: arbitration and mediation, Legal 500 Europe 2020-2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) - Advisory Board Member
- Belgrade Arbitration Center - Member of the Board
- New York State Bar Association (International Section) - Member of the Executive Committee
- Arbitration Association (Serbia) - Member
- Association „Arbitri“ (Bosnia & Herzegovina) - Advisory Board Member
- Austria (2014)
- New York~United States (2010)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (2009)
- University of Vienna (2007)
- Co-author, "Handbuch Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit und ADR," LexisNexis ARD ORAC, 29. Juli 2021
- Author, "Protection of investment: Why Austria insists on bilateral agreements" ("Investitionsschutz: Warum Österreich auf bilateralen Abkommen beharrt"), Die Presse, May 2020
- Co-author, "Ceta saved, Arbitration at risk," (Ceta gerettet, Schiedsgerichte gefährdet), Die Presse, May 2019
- Speaker, "Online arbitration – Armageddon or New Normal?", joint webinar organized by Young Croatian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP) and the Under 40 section of Arbitration Association (Serbia), May 2020
- Arbitrator, Rounds of 64 and 32, 27th Vis Moot, Vienna, April 2020
- Speaker, Lecture on "Shareholder Disputes in Arbitration," Slovak Bar Association, Bratislava, December 2019
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.