Jared is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He heads the Firm's Transportation and Logistics Industry Group Subsector. Jared has 12 years of litigation experience, with a particular focus on criminal litigation and commercial arbitration.
Jared is a Trustee and the President of the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators, and an accredited arbitrator of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center Inc., the Philippines' Office for Alternative Dispute Resolution, and the Philippines' Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM). He has recently been admitted to the Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre (YSIAC) Council, and the panel of arbitrators of the Borneo International Centre for Arbitration and Mediation. Jared sat as an arbitrator in the first WESM arbitrations in the Philippines, and has acted as arbitrator and counsel in ad hoc and institutional arbitrations.
He conducts MCLE lectures on commercial arbitration, and has co-authored a book on the matter. He currently teaches Commercial Arbitration, Civil Procedure, Special Civil Actions, and Sales Law at the Far Eastern University Institute of Law. He is also a supervising lawyer at the Ateneo Legal Services Center, where he oversees students in handling pro bono cases.
Jared studied at the Ateneo Law School (2010) where he received the Dean's Silver Medal for his J.D. thesis on foreign arbitral awards. He served as president of the Ateneo Society of International Law and was part of teams that represented the Philippines and won in moot court competitions in Florida (1st runner-up; 2007 Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition) and Japan (1st; 2008 Asia Cup International Law Moot Court Competition).
Representative Legal Matters
Commercial Arbitration and Civil Litigation
- Acted as arbitrator in the first two arbitrations under the Philippines’ Wholesale Electricity Sport Market rules.
- Obtained a court-issued interim measure of protection for a foreign oil trading company, that eventually led to a multimillion dollar arbitral award in an international commercial arbitration.
- Obtained an arbitral award for the Philippine arm of a multinational advertising company in a domestic arbitration against a government agency, for services rendered sought to be paid on the basis of quantum merit.
- Represented a multinational freight forwarding and logistics company in several proceedings relating to the enforcement of a multimillion dollar arbitral award in an international commercial arbitration, one of which resulted to a favorable landmark Supreme Court decision on the scope of arbitration confidentiality under Philippine law.
- Advised and represented a foreign dredging company in arbitration and arbitration-related court proceedings to obtain an interim measure of protection against a Philippine conglomerate.
Criminal Defense and Prosecution
- Successfully prosecuted several individuals engaged in cybercrime and fraud activities in the Philippines in criminal cases instituted by a multi-national money transfer company.
- Successfully represented a foreign business process outsourcing company in the entrapment and arrest of an individual engaged in cybercrime and extortion activities against the company.
- Successfully defended and obtained the release of indigent clients in a pro bono case involving allegations of assault and physical injuries.
- Successfully defended and prevented the arrest of chief executives of a multinational freight forwarding company in a tax-related criminal proceeding initiated by the Bureau of Internal Revenue.
- Successfully obtained the liberty of officers of a foreign engineering firm in a raid conducted by law enforcement agencies on allegations of illegal dredging operations.
- Next Generation Lawyer for Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2024
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators (PIArb) - Fellow, Trustee, and President (2024 to 2026)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (East Asia Branch) - Fellow
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. (PDRCI) - Accredited Arbitrator
- Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) - Accredited Arbitrator
- Office for Alternative Dispute Resolution (OADR) - Accredited Arbitrator
- Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre (YSIAC) - Council Member
- Borneo International Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (BICAM) - Panel of Arbitrators
- Far Eastern University Institute of Law - Lecturer
- Ateneo Legal Services Center - Supervising Lawyer
- Philippines (2011)
- Ateneo de Manila University (J.D.) (2010)
- Ateneo de Manila University (A.B. Economics) (2006)
- Co-author, "Supreme Court clarifies public policy exception to enforcement of arbitral awards and period to confirm a domestic award", Quisumbing Torres, 2023
- Co-author, "NEDA issues implementing rules and regulations of the law removing foreign equity restrictions on public service companies", Quisumbing Torres, 2023
- Co-author, "DOJ Circulars introduce new evidentiary standard for pursuing criminal cases, and new case build-up procedures", Quisumbing Torres, 2023
- Co-author, "Fintech: Understanding the legal and regulatory framework of financial technology in the Philippines," Quisumbing Torres, 2022
- Co-author, "Thomson Reuters Practical Law: Financial and Business Crime Global Guide, Philippines Q&A," Thomson Reuters, 2022