Dranyl Jared P. Amoroso
Jared is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He heads the Firm's Transportation and Logistics Industry Group Subsector. Jared has 11 years of litigation experience, with a particular focus on criminal litigation and commercial arbitration.
Jared is a trustee and the senior vice president for advocacies of the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators. He is a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Philippine Institute of Arbitrators, and an accredited arbitrator of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center Inc., the Philippines' Office for Alternative Dispute Resolution, and the Philippines' Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM). Jared sat as an arbitrator in the first WESM arbitrations in the Philippines, and has acted as counsel in ad hoc and institutional arbitrations.
He conducts MCLE lectures on commercial arbitration, and has co-authored a book on the matter. He currently teaches civil procedure, special civil actions, and sales law at the Far Eastern University Institute of Law. He is also a supervising lawyer at the Ateneo Legal Services Center, where he oversees students in handling pro bono cases.
Jared studied at the Ateneo Law School (2010) where he received the Dean's Silver Medal for his J.D. thesis on foreign arbitral awards. He served as president of the Ateneo Society of International Law and was part of teams that represented the Philippines and won in moot court competitions in Florida (1st runner-up; 2007 Stetson International Environmental Law Moot Court Competition) and Japan (1st; 2008 Asia Cup International Law Moot Court Competition).
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully assisted a Singapore-based oil trading company in a Petition for Interim Measure of Protection under the Special Rules of Court on Alternative Dispute Resolution and subsequent international commercial arbitration.
- Assist the Philippine subsidiary of one of the world's leading suppliers of cement and aggregates in a commercial arbitration and emergency arbitration proceedings under the Rules of the PDRC involving the termination of a Port Services Agreement.
- Successfully obtained a favorable arbitral award for an international freight forwarding and logistics company in an arbitration administered under the rules of the Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc.
- Assist a multinational advertising company in an arbitration against a government agency, for services rendered sought to be paid on the basis of quantum meruit.
- Advise a multinational oil and gas company in connection with issues relating to or arising from an ICSID Arbitration against the Republic of the Philippines, vis-a-vis an ongoing arbitration before the ICC, court proceedings before the Supreme Court, and proceedings before the Commission on Audit.
- Assist and represent a government agency in injunction proceedings and a potential arbitration its contractor for its new flagship museum in Manila.
- Assist an international freight forwarding and logistics company in a Supreme Court case involving the issue of nationality requirements for freight forwarding services.
- Advise and represent a multinational engaged in oil and gas exploration and production in a suit filed by an international environmental non-government agency before the Commission on Human Rights, seeking to hold the world’s largest oil, coal, cement, and mining companies liable for climate change-caused damages supposedly arising out of these companies carbon emissions.
- Advise a Japanese corporation in relation to procurement of an infrastructure project involving a major railway funded by a foreign government.
- Successfully advised and represented an Asian aircraft leasing company before the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), in relation to de-registration of aircrafts leased by the company to a Philippines-based airline company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators (PIArb) - Fellow, Trustee, and Senior Vice-President for Advocacies (2018-present)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (East Asia Branch) - Fellow
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Makati Chapter - Officer, Legal Education Committee (2019-present)
- Philippine Dispute Resolution Center, Inc. (PDRCI) - Accredited Arbitrator
- Wholesale Electricity Spot Market (WESM) - Accredited Arbitrator
- International Bar Association (IBA) - Criminal Law Committee - Member
- Ateneo Legal Services Center - Supervising Lawyer
- Far Eastern University Institute of Law - Lecturer
- International Arbitration Associates Forum - Country Representative (2019-present)
- Philippines (2011)
- Ateneo de Manila University (J.D.) (2010)
- Ateneo de Manila University (A.B. Economics) (2006)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-Author, "Fintech: Understanding the legal and regulatory framework of financial technology in the Philippines," Quisumbing Torres, 2022
- Co-Author, "Thomson Reuters Practical Law: Financial and Business Crime Global Guide, Philippines Q&A," Thomson Reuters, 2022
- Co-Author, "Construction Contract Management," Quisumbing Torres, 2022
- Co-Author, "Philippines: Securities and Exchange Commission issues guidelines on arbitration of intra-corporate disputes for corporations," Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, 2022
- Co-Author, "Philippines: DOJ modifies appeal procedure in preliminary investigations of criminal cases," Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, 2022