Mohamed Abdelaleem is a counsel at Helmy, Hamza & Partners, Baker McKenzie Cairo. He heads the Litigation Practice Group. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he has more than 35 years of experience in judicial work, during which time he served in different court circuits, including the Administrative Court, the Supreme Administrative Court, the Legal Advisory Department, the General Assembly for Advice and Legislation, as well as the State Council's Legislation Department, where he headed the Technical Bureau of the General Assembly and participated in the review of many draft laws. He has also acted as an advisor to several ministries, authorities and governorates, including as a legal advisor to the Ministry of Municipalities Affairs and Agriculture in the Kingdom of Bahrain, the Legislation Department of the Council of Ministers in the State of Qatar, as an arbitrator in several important arbitrations and provided training for judges of the Board of Grievances in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Mohamed focuses on international arbitration, employment disputes and regulatory.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a food manufacturing company in criminal proceedings related to a claimed customs violation. The court issued its judgement finding the criminal proceeding dropped due to the statute of limitation.
- Acting for an American multinational company in an administrative challenge against the ETA's decision to apply a 14% tax rate to exported services instead of 0%, and requesting a refund of approx. EGP 28,369,819 (twenty eight million three hundred sixty nine thousand eight hundred and nineteen Egyptian Pounds).
Before joining the Firm, Mohamed worked on the following matters:
- Acted as a legal counselor at the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority for a year by virtue of the Decree of the President of the Council of State No. (562) issued in the session held on August 14, 2021.
- Acted as a member of the Disciplinary Council for Employees for Non-faculty Members at Suez Canal University.
- Acted as a Legal Adviser to the General Authority of the National Library and Archives.
- Acted as an arbitrator designated by El Ofoq El Gedid Cooperative Housing Association in the dispute between the company and Egyptian Construction Company regarding the contact which was concluded between the two parties and about which the arbitration request no. 4 of the year 2014 was submitted.
- A member in the committee to prepare a draft law amending the texts of the Council of State law in view of the current legislative and constitutional developments by a decree of the President of the Council of State no. (137) of the year 2013, the session dated March 18, 2013.
- Acted as an arbitrator designated by Venus International Company (free zone for grain trading and marine services) in the dispute between the company and the General Authority for Supply Commodities.
- Acted as an arbitrator nominated by the Housing Cooperative Union in its capacity as the legal representative of the Saqr Quraish Association. The dispute is about a business contracting contract concluded between the two parties and an arbitration request number (1), submitted to the Arbitration Center on February 20, 2012.
- Acted as an arbitrator of the company resorted to arbitration in the dispute between Qaroon International Contracting Company and the Cooperative Society for Building and Housing - Alexandria Company - Concerning a business contracting contract concluded between the two parties and an arbitration request numbered (4), was submitted in 2012.
- Acted as an arbitrator of the Housing Cooperative Union of Giza, the session dated June 27, 2011.
- Acted as a final arbitrator in the arbitration No. 141/1997 of Damietta Governorate against the Bank of Alexandria in Cairo, at the session held on January 13, 1998.
- Acted as a legal adviser to Damietta Governorate for several years.
- Acted as a legal adviser to the Greater Cairo Water Company.
- Seconded as a legal counselor at the Ministry of Municipalities Affairs and Agriculture in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Seconded as a legal counselor at the General Secretariat of the Cabinet of the State of Qatar.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Former member of the board of directors of the Egyptian Company for Renovation and Maintenance of Railways for one year, 2013.
- Former member of the Advisory Department of the Ministries of Culture, Manpower, Information and Tourism.
- Former member of the Advisory Department of the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation.
- Former member of the State Commissioners' Authority of the Court of Administrative Judiciary - Circuit 4 - Settlements (A, B).
- Egypt (1985)
- Cairo University (Postgraduate Diploma in Administrative Law) (1989)
- Cairo University (Postgraduate Diploma in Private Law) (1988)
- Cairo University (Bachelor of Law) (1985)
- Presenter, "The Capacity in the Administrative Case, the Appeal against Judgments and the Independence of the Judiciary and Duties of the Judges", a lecture to the Judges of the Board of Grievances in Saudi Arabia, April 2013
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.