Baker & McKenzie is identified by Acritas as “the firm most used for high value work in Africa” according to the Sharplegal Insight Guide
June 2014 “Demand in Africa: The Multinational Opportunity”.
Baker & McKenzie is the world’s largest law firm by revenue and the ‘Global Law Firm for Africa’, advising many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 77 offices in 47 countries. The Firm is known for its global perspective, deep understanding of the local language and culture of business, uncompromising commitment to excellence, and world-class fluency in its client service.
We were one of the first international law firms to open an office in Africa over 30 years ago and we continue to support and advise clients across the continent. The work is undertaken by teams in our locally based African offices alongside lawyers with Africa experience in our Baker & McKenzie offices worldwide and where appropriate our African Relationship Firms. We provide our clients in Africa with an integrated service that is supported by our global reach and best practice aligned with industry and local knowledge.
Deep industry experience
We bring to matters our international experience of working on bespoke deals, projects and disputes in unusual contexts across multiple jurisdictions. Our professionals have a deep understanding of the key growth sectors in Africa — including energy, mining and infrastructure, banking and finance, as well as the new consumer-led growth sectors such as telecoms, FMCG, pharmaceuticals and healthcare.
Local knowledge and execution
We execute projects seamlessly and effectively, drawing upon the skills of our seasoned professionals around the world, including from our offices in Cairo, Casablanca and Johannesburg and our well established local law firm relationships in other African jurisdictions. Our experience on the continent spans more than three decades of advising both multinational global and African clients.
African Relationship Firms
Baker & McKenzie supports clients acting as deal or international counsel on projects, working with carefully selected local counsel for input as required. We have developed strong and trusted relationships with our 'African Relationship Firms', with whom we work hard to further strengthen their capacity and common working practices. We hold regular conferences with these firms and share information, discuss opportunities and provide support to ensure effective execution of client projects. We include our African Relationship Firms in Baker & McKenzie training initiatives and actively encourage the two-way mobility of lawyers through secondments.
Global business context
We have experience advising multinational and local clients on inbound and outbound investments in Africa, China, Brazil, India, Japan, the US and Western Europe. We help clients understand and work with development finance institutions and export credit agencies to establish major projects and financing from outset to completion.
Combining global and local knowledge enables us to better identify risk and advise on practical ways to mitigate and manage that risk, thus helping clients to benefit from the business and investment opportunities available to them.
Leading and managing multijurisdictional, multidisciplinary teams including both Baker & McKenzie's global offices and our African Relationship Firms is something we do on a daily basis. We can bring a “One Firm” approach to support clients’ businesses across Africa, working with our preferred correspondent firms or with local counsel of the clients’ choice. We can provide clients with access to professional project managers, who work with our lawyers as part of an integrated team that supports clients in managing large, complex, multijurisdictional transactions across Africa.
Corporate social responsibility
Renowned for our culture of friendship, we are committed to corporate social responsibility in Africa. We advise, support and partner with clients on a wide range of development programmes such as the introduction of education initiatives and international skills training to local lawyers and staff, supporting gender initiatives through efforts to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality, among others.
Find out more about how we work in Africa
What others say
- International Law Firm of the Year, Banking, Finance and Restructuring Team of the Year, and Winner of the CSR Award - The African Legal Awards 2015
- One of Trade Finance Deals of the Year 2013, Baker & McKenzie advised MTN Nigeria on a USD3 billion financing alongside 17 Nigerian banks, export credit agencies (ECAs), development banks and Chinese financial institutions.
- African Renewables Deal of the Year 2012 - Project Finance International. Baker & McKenzie advised SolarReserve as a part of a consortium in relation to a USD586 million financing for two solar photovoltaic projects, Letsatsi and Lesedi, in South Africa’s Free State and Northern Cape.
- Project Finance Deal of the Year 2012 - International Financial Review. The Firm acted for the Egyptian Refining Company on the USD3.7 billion project financing of its green field refinery project in Mostorod, near Cairo.
- Recently identified by Acritas as the top firm used for African work overall. Sharplegal Global Elite 2014 “Multinationals: Demand in Africa” report
- Law Firm of the Year (Egypt) IFLR 2012, 2008, 2007 and 2006