Jaime Trujillo joined Baker McKenzie Colombia in 1985 as a law clerk. In 1997, he was appointed partner and in 2000 was designated a principal in the Firm. He is the chair of Baker McKenzie’s Latin America Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group and is a member of the Latin America Regional Council. He also served on the Firm's Global Financial Committee. For over 20 years, Mr. Trujillo has been advising on key multinational transactions in various industries.
Mergers & Acquisitions
For over 20 years, Mr. Trujillo has advised clients in mergers and acquisitions, infrastructure projects and project financing. He has been involved in the construction and financing of pipelines, power plants, transportation systems and telecommunications networks, and the privatization of infrastructure in Colombia, Peru and Central America, among others. In the last decade, he has advised on some of the most relevant M&A transactions in Colombia.
Mr. Trujillo has more than 20 years of experience in advising private equity clients on leveraged buyouts, investments, acquisitions and disposals.
Banking & Finance
Mr. Trujillo acts for both lenders and borrowers in various types of cross-border financing transactions — insurance and reinsurance, corporate and commercial law, project finance and infrastructure, banking, finance and securities, and CDM projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund IV, L.P. in connection with the acquisition by Estrella International Energy Services Ltd. (Estrella) of San Antonio Internacional Co. Inc. (SAI), an entity that provides specialized services and personnel for the exploration and development of oil and gas resources in Colombia.
- Acted for Edenred in the acquisition of Big Pass S.A. a Colombian leader in pre-paid securities.
- Acted for Brookfield Asset Management in the creation of a Colombian infrastructure private equity fund.
- Acted for Enbridge International Inc. in the divestment of Enbridge's indirect 24.7 percent stake in Oleoducto Central S.A.
- Acted for Public Sector Pension Investment Board in its investment in a Colombian private equity fund (Fondo de Capital Privado Fondo Inmobiliario Colombia) that invests primarily in real estate assets.
- Acted for SHV Holdings N.V. in its acquisition of the 43.54 percent not yet owned stake in Makro Colombia, a cash and carry wholesaler in Colombia.
- Acted for BOC Holdings in the sale of its 73.95 percent stake in Gases Industriales de Colombia S.A. (Cryogas) to Indura S.A.
- Acted for Martinair Holland N.V. and other shareholders of Tampa Cargo S.A., a Colombian air cargo company, in the sale of the company to Avianca, the Colombian flagship carrier.
- Acted for a major international bank in the structuring and financing of a power transmission line between Colombia and Panama.
- Acted for the Republic of Nicaragua in structuring the segmentation of their integrated power company ENEL into six companies (three in the power generation sector, one in the transmission sector and two in the distribution sector), and in preparing and closing the USD125 million privatization of the power generation and distribution companies.
- Band 1, Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global, 2011-2014
- Band 1, Corporate/M&A, Chambers Latin America, 2009-2014
- Leading lawyer, Corporate and M&A, Legal 500, 2013
- Leading lawyer, Financial and corporate, IFLR 1000, 2009-2010, 2013
- Leading lawyer, Mergers & Acquisitions, IFLR 1000, 2011-2012
- Colombia (1988)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M. International Business Law) (1994)
- University de Los Andes (J.D.) (1988)