Gavin Raftery has extensive experience practicing finance law in Australia, the UK and Japan. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie in 2001, he worked for a prominent Japanese law firm specializing in financial transactions and securitization. From August 2004 until September 2006, he worked as a senior associate in the Banking and Finance Practice Group of Baker & McKenzie's London office. Mr. Raftery has been listed as an up and coming lawyer for Banking and Finance in Japan by Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 and as a recommended lawyer for climate change-related work by Practical Law Company in the PLC Environment Handbook 2011, the PLC Environment Handbook 2012 and in PLC Which lawyer?.
Mr. Raftery focuses his practice in the areas of leveraged finance, project finance, export and trade finance, derivatives, emissions trading, carbon finance, securitization and other structured finance transactions and financial product development. He acts for both Japanese and international institutions on transactional and regulatory matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Volkswagen Financial Services Japan in connection with the structuring of, and initial JPY25 billion issuance under, their new securitization program in Japan, Driver Japan.
- Represented the arrangers and senior lenders in connection with the financing of Bain Capital's acquisition of Skylark. This transaction was awarded the Debt Market Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2012 and was named the Best Private Equity Deal in Japan for 2011 by FinanceAsia.
- Represented the arrangers and lenders in connection with the financing of a Japanese consortium's USD680 million acquisition of ARCO Aluminum in the US.
- Represented the arrangers and lenders in connection with the financing of Bain Capital's acquisition of BellSystem24. This transaction was awarded the TMT Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2010.
- Represented the arrangers and senior lenders in connection with the financing of Bain Capital's acquisition of D&M Holdings. This transaction was awarded the TMT Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2009.
- Represented the arranger and lender of a USD230 million mezzanine loan facility to finance part of the purchase price for a Japanese consortium's acquisition of the Philippine power operations of a US company. This was the first hybrid project finance/acquisition finance and mezzanine transaction involving JBIC.
- Represented the lenders on a USD300 million NEXI-backed loan to the Vietnamese Ministry of Finance to finance the construction of the Dung Quat petrochemical refinery.
- Represented various Japanese, US and European financial institutions and corporations in connection with their interest rate, currency and commodity derivatives trading and portfolio hedging activities.
- Up and coming lawyer for banking and finance in Japan, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012
- Recommended lawyer for climate change-related work, PLC Environment Handbook, 2011
- Recommended lawyer for climate change-related work, PLC Environment Handbook, 2012
- Recommended lawyer for climate change-related work, PLC Which Lawyer?
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA)
- International Emissions Trading Association (IETA)
Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (2007)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
New South Wales~Australia (1998)
College of Law
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.