Alexandre Lamy joined Baker & McKenzie in 2009 and currently works in the Firm's International Trade Practice Group. He assists clients with export controls, sanctions, and anti-corruption issues and advises clients on corporate compliance matters. Since August 2011, Mr. Lamy has served on the steering group for the ABA Section of International Law’s Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee and is currently a Vice Chair of the Committee. He has organized several events regarding recent developments in US trade sanctions and export controls for the Committee.
Mr. Lamy advises clients on compliance with US export controls, trade and economic sanctions, antiboycott controls, and international anti-corruption measures. He counsels on and prepares filings to submit to the US Government’s Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) with respect to the acquisition of US enterprises by non-US interests. Moreover, Mr. Lamy advises US and non-US companies in the context of licensing, enforcement actions, internal investigations, compliance audits, mergers and acquisitions and other cross-border transactions, and the design, implementation, and administration of compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise companies on various compliance issues related to sanctions programs administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including US sanctions targeting Russia, Iran, Cuba, and Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs).
- Counsel companies on compliance with the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA); the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010 (CISADA); Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012 (ITRA); Executive Orders 13608 (foreign sanctions evaders),13622, 13645; and Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act (IFCPA).
- Counsel companies on the application of financial sanctions pursuant to CISADA, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (NDAA), ITRA, Executive Orders 13622 and 13645, and IFCPA.
- Advise companies on the implications of the ISA, CISADA, ITRA, IFCPA, and related measures in non-US acquisitions.
- Assist companies regarding responses to various US state divestment measures related to Iran, Sudan, and Cuba.
- Counsel companies regarding evolving US sanctions targeting Burma/Myanmar, including general licenses and new investment reporting requirements.
- Provide compliance advice to companies with respect to US export controls and trade sanctions, including drafting and submitting license applications and classification requests to OFAC and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
- Advise clients on preparing and drafting disclosures to OFAC, BIS, and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Counsel clients on submissions to the US Government’s CFIUS with respect to the acquisition of US enterprises by non-US interests.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
District of Columbia~United States (2010)
Virginia~United States (2009)
University of Virginia School of Law
Claremont McKenna College
(B.A. magna cum laude)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.