Reagan Demas has significant experience working on behalf of companies and investors conducting work or business in developing countries. He has worked on the ground evaluating investment and business opportunities with greater clarity and conducting investigations and due diligence on behalf of clients worldwide. Mr. Demas has also written and spoken extensively on corruption, compliance issues and how to do business in Africa.
Mr. Demas focuses his practice on anti-corruption, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations, and white collar litigation. He assists domestic and international companies in internal investigations and dispute resolution and has investigated and litigated a variety of matters in courts around the world, including state and federal courts in the United States. He has significant experience advising on FCPA compliance and business operations. These include solutions on issues of taxation, investment, entity registration, security, risk management and expatriate employment. Mr. Demas has extensive contacts and is fluent in local law questions in Africa and other developing jurisdictions, and has extensive knowledge of regional dispute resolution mechanisms.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managed investigation of potential violations of the FCPA in China by a listed global oil and gas services company, including disclosure and reporting to the US Department of Justice and US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Serving as compliance consultant for global freight forwarder and logistics provider post-DOJ/SEC settlement and delivering regular reports to DOJ/SEC as required under Deferred Prosecution Agreement.
- Assisted a US-based product distributor in restructuring its Nigerian operations in compliance with US and Nigerian law.
- Conducted onsite customs-related compliance assessments in six countries in Africa, Asia, and South America for a multinational drilling company.
- Conducted due diligence on potential joint venture partners on behalf of an oil services supplier restructuring operations in Angola.
- Acted for a US-based global oil & gas service provider in drafting anti-corruption and trade compliance manuals and associated materials; Conducted on-the-ground trainings of over 1,000 employees in six countries in Africa relating to FCPA and local law compliance.
- Acted on behalf of a leading global pharmaceutical company in drafting agreements and leading negotiations relating to the sale and distribution of a popular pharmaceutical to African Ministries of Health, USAID and non-governmental organizations in Africa, ensuring compliance with FCPA and other US and local laws, as well as protecting against black market distribution and ensuring safe and proper use of the product in Africa.
- Acted for a Global freight forwarder in conducting full-scale on-the-ground internal investigations relating to potential violations of the FCPA and other compliance issues in six North and West African nations as part of cooperation with a US Department of Justice investigation.
- Counseled a global services corporation on security and legal issues in Nigeria’s delta region in 2008.
District of Columbia~United States (2009)
California~United States (2001)
Harvard Law School
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.