Mini vandePol was appointed as the Chair of Baker & McKenzie's Global Compliance & Investigations Group on 1 September 2014, after successfully completing five years as the Asia Pacific Regional Chair of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group. As well as leading a global team of more than 900 compliance and investigation team members, Ms. vandePol's work engagements focus on anti-bribery and corruption investigations and risk mitigation in China, India and other parts of Asia in a variety of industries. In addition, as part of her global outreach activities, Ms. vandePol is a member of the B20 (corporate arm of the G20) Anti-Corruption Task Force and chair of its International Conventions workstream. She was recently invited to be the sole external legal panelist on corruption issues to the top echelons of the Chinese government at the 2016 People's Congress.
Ms. vandePol is the editor of the very popular Global Attorney-Client Privilege Handbook (2nd edition 2014) and has written a number of articles in journals and other publications both in Australia, India and elsewhere in Asia Pacific on topics ranging from corporate compliance investigations and enforcement, fraud risk, class actions, international trade and sanctions compliance, litigation practice, and ADR techniques. She is also a highly sought after media spokesperson and has made several appearances in business media in Hong Kong, India, Australia and the US such as in The Australian and Australian Financial Review and on TV and radio including Sky News, ABC’s 7.30 Report, ABC Radio National Australian Network's AusBizAsia program and ABC News 24.
Ms. vandePol has more than 24 years’ experience and is the trusted advisor to the boards and audit committees of the Firm’s most significant global clients — assisting them to establish and enhance their risk management programs and credibly investigate transgressions to support a strong commitment to a culture of compliance. She is engaged to perform risk assessments and conduct compliance training, undertake third party and target due diligence, provide advice on the structure of transactions and business models, assist with sanctions and trade related compliance issues and conduct internal investigations including reporting to regulators such as the US Department of Justice in respect of FCPA violations.
- Providing investigation and litigation management and oversight advice in Bangladesh for a global telecommunications giant.
- Representing a US parent and Australian subsidiary in relation to civil proceedings relating to alleged bribery in India and subsequent US Department of Justice investigation.
- Conducting an internal investigation in Hong Kong for a Fortune 500 consumer products manufacturer in respect of violations of its third party provider anticorruption policies by local management.
- Leading and managing a multinational, multiparty investigation for an ASX-200 infrastructure giant in respect of systemic violations and historic acts of corruption committed by its wholly owned subsidiary in Latin America.
- Acting in a large-scale global investigation by a major multinational into an allegation of systemic breaches of the FCPA by its employees in China and in Southeast Asia, including working closely with the US Department of Justice on behalf of our client to manage the scope and scale of the investigative process.
- Coordinating and managing a multijurisdictional team for an anticorruption investigation on behalf of a multinational FTSE 100 company into allegations made by an anonymous whistleblower of alleged bribery amounting to hundreds of millions of RMB by a senior employee of the Shanghai business over a number of years.
- Advising a leading Asia Pacific-based multinational on, and carrying out, an internal investigation of activities by its resellers in the Asian region.
- Conducting a compliance due diligence for a US global business seeking to enter into a joint venture in India.
- Advising the Australian subsidiary of a US multinational automotive manufacturer on the culture of compliance in India.
- Undertaking a risk assessment of compliance risk for an Australian-based resource company with a footprint throughout Asia Pacific.
- Featured in Global Investigations Review's 2015 Top 100 Women in Investigations
- Listed in the Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers under the Commercial Litigation in 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Noted as a Key Individual in Chambers Global Dispute Resolution 2015
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association - Member
- Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia - Member
- Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution - Member
- International Women's Insolvency & Reconstruction Confederation - Member
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Insolvency Interest Group) - Member
- Assisting Public Interest Law Clearing House (PILCH) in Victoria on various case matters including a 2013 High Court appeal on behalf of a boat arrival to Australia seeking refugee status.
- Registered Foreign Lawyer~Hong Kong (2014)
- Victoria~Australia (1990)
- Monash University (B.Sc.) (1989)
- Monash University (LL.B.) (1989)