Rodrigo Ogea has been the managing partner of the Madrid office since 1 October 2017. He heads the Firm’s Tax Practice Group in Madrid and serves on the Europe Tax Transactions Group Steering Committee. Ranked among the leading tax practitioners by Chambers Europe, he is a member of the Tax and Legal Committee of the European Venture Capital Association and the Tax Committee of the US Chamber of Commerce in Spain. Mr. Ogea also serves as a member of the American Business Council Tax Committee, and is the Spanish representative to the European Commission Expert Group for the Removal of Tax Obstacles for cross-border European Venture Capital Investments.
Mr. Ogea provides sound legal advice to corporations and private equity houses on a broad range of tax issues arising from mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions. His practice also includes fund structuring (asset classes, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and renewables), structured finance (project finance, asset finance, securitization and film financing) and tax planning of cross-border investments and restructurings. Mr. Ogea also has extensive experience in the real estate industry and is recognized as a leading adviser on REITs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a leading utility on the tax structuring of a USD7 billion takeover bid of a major Spain-listed target.
- Advised on the tax structuring of a USD3 billion common stock and convertible note offerings by a leading steel manufacturing company.
- Acted for a Spanish listed real estate company in the tax planning of a USD1.7 billion pan-European real estate acquisition in eight EU jurisdictions.
- Represented a leading European multinational in the tax structuring of a USD900 million pan-European securitization program. Counseled one of the most relevant non-listed Spanish real estate companies on the tax structuring of a USD450 million real estate fund for investing in Spanish shopping centres.
- Acted for a Canadian pension fund on the acquisition of a USD185 million stake in one of the major Spanish telecom players.
- Advised one of the main US car manufacturers on the financial restructuring of its European group.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Madrid Bar Association
- Madrid~Spain (2003)
- Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles (Master's Degree Corporate Finance & Investment Banking) (2000)
- University Nacional de Educación a Distancia (Law Degree) (1996)
- University Autonoma de Madrid (Graduate Degree Business and Economic Studies) (1994)
- Dublin City University
Baker & McKenzie Madrid S.L.P. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.