James P. O’ Brien chairs the Firm’s Global Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Practice Group. He serves as counsel in major project and infrastructure transactions such as power generation and waste recycling facilities. Both on behalf of project sponsors and lenders, Mr. O’Brien has led moving complex projects through development, project financing and operation. He has also been lead counsel on limited recourse project financings, using traditional bank debt, leveraged leases and Rule 144A capital markets issues. And during project development, he has successfully managed complex siting, permitting and transaction issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- USD515 million acquisition and project financing of Gas-fired Combined Cycle Plant, Hood County, Texas.
- Acquisition and project financing of Coal-fired Power Plant, Virginia.
- Development and project financing of Gas-fired Peaking Plant, Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin.
- USD7.6 billion ScottishPower Acquisition of PacifiCorp.
- USD4 billion TXU Sale of TXU Australia.
Recognized in Project Finance Law, Best Lawyers in America, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Energy Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Chicago Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit~United States (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1988)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1988)
- Wisconsin~United States (1983)
- Illinois~United States (1983)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D. cum laude, Order of the Coif) (1983)
- University of Notre Dame (B.S. cum laude) (1980)