Ben McLaughlin is the chair of the Global Healthcare Industry Group and a partner in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office. He has over 25 years' experience in advising leading Australian and international public companies on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and equity capital markets. Ben conceptualized the Baker McKenzie Healthcare MapApp, an acclaimed mobile application that enables clients to access over 1,000 pages of legal summaries. He has been recognized by Chambers for his work in Australian and international M&A matters, as well as in pharmaceuticals and life sciences. Ben is admitted to practice law in Australia and the US, and is an adjunct member of the Faculty of Law at the University of Sydney.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a leading private equity firm on its acquisition of i-Med Network, one of the world’s largest medical imaging clinic groups, for over A$500 million.
- Counseled Reckitt Benckiser on the reorganisation and spin-off of its pharmaceutical division.
- Advised Baxter Healthcare on the reorganisation and spin-off of its biopharma division.
- Coun seled Ramsay Health Care on its A$500 million joint venture in Asia with Sime Darby.
- Advised Hospira on its A$2.7 billion takeover of Mayne Pharma, Australia’s largest healthcare M&A transaction.
- Counseled Sonic Healthcare on the A$400 million acquisition of Clinical Pathology Laboratories.
- Key individual for Corporate/M&A in Australia, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015
- Notable practitioner for Life Sciences in Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Trade & Government Committee
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - Law Committee
- Certified Practicing Accountant of Australia
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission - Corporate Finance Committee
- New York~United States (1992)
- New South Wales~Australia (1987)
- Queensland~Australia (1987)
- University of Sydney (Master of Laws LL.M.) (1994)
- New York University (Master of Laws LL.M. Corporate) (1991)
- University of Queensland (LL.B. Honors) (1986)
- University of Queensland (BComm) (1981)