Ashok Lalwani is the Head of the International Capital Markets Practice in Asia Pacific and is the Chair of the Firm's India practice. Ashok is recognised by leading legal directories for his experience in the cross-border securities and high yield matters.
Ashok focuses his practice on public and private international securities offerings and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, including the representation of non-US based companies in transactions involving United States federal securities laws. His practice also includes the representation of issuers and underwriters in public and private securities offerings in the United States and abroad. Ashok also has a track record of India deals with a US law element.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the joint bookrunners — Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Maybank, HSBC, Merrill Lynch and RHB — in the IPO and global offering by selling shareholders pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S. The shares were listed on Bursa Malaysia. (Proceeds: approximately USD 703 million)
- Represented the issuer, PT Electronic City Indonesia Tbk, the largest modern retailer of electronics products in Indonesia, in its IPO and global offering pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S of the issuer. (Proceeds: approximately USD 135 million)
- Represented the issuer in connection with offering of an aggregate USD 6.5 billion of notes.
- Represented the issuer, PT Bank Negara Indonesia Tbk, in connection with its USD 500 million 4.125% bonds due 2017. The bonds were the first offshore dollar bond issue from an Indonesian commercial bank since 2003.
- Represented Parkson Retail Asia Ltd., a Southeast Asia-based department store operator, in a global offering (pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S) and listing on the Singapore Stock Exchange. (Proceeds: USD 127 million)
- Represented Rajawali Corporation in connection with the sale of USD 1 billion of stake in Semen Grasik.
- Represented Dish TV India Ltd on its sale of an 11 percent stake to US-based asset management company Apollo Management through the issuance of USD 100 million global depository receipts.
- Represented Pacific Internet Ltd, a company listed on NASDAQ, in connection with the tender offer by MediaRing Ltd.
- Represented Thai Airways International Public Co Ltd. Represented the issuer in an offering structured as a public offering to existing shareholders and concurrent international offering pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S. (Total proceeds: USD 486 million)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- California~United States (2001)
- Illinois (inactive)~United States (1989)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D. cum laude) (1989)
- Michigan State University (M.B.A.) (1984)
- Michigan State University (B.A.) (1984)