Dr. Lukas Feiler, SSCP, CIPP/E, has more than five years of experience in IP/IT and is a senior associate and head of the IP and IT team at Baker McKenzie • Diwok Hermann Petsche Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG in Vienna. He is a lecturer for data protection law at the University of Vienna Law School and for IT compliance at the University of Applied Science Wiener Neustadt. Prior to joining the Firm, he was an associate at the Austrian headquarter of an international law firm, vice director at the European Center for E-Commerce and Internet Law, and an intern at the European Commission, DG Information Society & Media. Having worked at IT companies in Vienna, Leeds, and New York, he has experience as a system and network administrator. In April 2014, Mr. Feiler has been named as Cyber Security Lawyer of the Year for Austria in the 2014 Finance Monthly Law Awards. In 2011, he received the Jus-Top-League Award from Die Presse and the Academy for Law, Taxes & Business as one of the five most promising up-and-coming lawyers.
Dr. Feiler advises multinational and domestic clients on data protection, telecommunications law, IT outsourcing, software licensing, cyber security, copyright, trademark law, patent law and e-commerce matters. Furthermore, he works on the IP and IT aspects of mergers, acquisitions, financings, joint ventures, reorganizations and other strategic alliances. Dr. Feiler has experience in the IT services, software, telecommunications, and e-commerce industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an American on-demand Internet movie streaming provider on consumer protection law and all relevant regulatory requirements regarding its market entrance in Austria.
- Advising a US multinational telecommunications operator regarding its entrance into the Austrian market as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) and all applicable regulatory requirements under Austrian telecommunications law.
- Advising an international construction company on the quantitative assessment of compliance risks and coordinating a multi-jurisdictional internal compliance investigation into alleged competition law violations and corrupt practices, including the management of cyber-forensic, document review and interview processes, all while ensuring compliance with applicable data protection requirements.
- Advised one of the world’s leading companies in the energy sector on an incident of suspected industrial espionage carried out for the benefit of one of its fiercest competitors in central Europe. The incident concerned the theft of all technical drawings for a new industry engine, the development of which cost the client more than EUR50 million.
- Advised an American international IT service provider on regulatory compliance of a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) project.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (2015)
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) (Certification) (2009)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Austrian Chapter of the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium ((ISC)²)
- IT-LAW.AT - Scholarly Association for Information Law
- Austria (2014)
- University of Vienna (Dr. iur.) (2011)
- Fellowship at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford University (2011)
- Stanford-Vienna Transatlantic Technology Forum (TTLF) (Fellowship) (2009)
- University of Vienna (Mag. iur.) (2008)