Borys Dackiw has been a partner of Baker McKenzie since 1995. In 2008 Mr. Dackiw was appointed managing partner of the Gulf offices (including Abu Dhabi, Doha, Riyadh and Bahrain), coordinating the opening of the Abu Dhabi and Doha offices and the merger in the UAE with Habib Al Mulla in July 2013. Mr. Dackiw is head of the UAE Corporate/M&A practice and focuses his practice on mergers & acquisitions (including privatizations), private equity and general corporate and commercial law. Mr. Dackiw also advises on compliance related matters.
Prior to this appointment Mr. Dackiw held the position of managing partner in both the Prague (Czech Republic) and Kyiv (Ukraine) offices of Baker McKenzie.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised numerous clients across various industries on their compliance and anti-bribery policies and programs and has participated in whistleblower interviews relating to allegations of bribery and other bribery-related investigations.
- Advised Hasan Ismaik, the former CEO of Dubai-based Arabtec, on the USD963 million sale of a significant stake in Arabtec to Aabar Investments PJSC.
- Advised Leemar Investments FZE on the USD100 million investment in and acquisition of a 50 percent stake in SUSHISAMBA, a global restaurant business, including the formation of a joint venture and global tax structuring for its expansion into new markets.
- Advising a Malaysian-owned investment vehicle on the private placement of a USD1.75 billion bond with a joint guarantee from an investment company owned by the Abu Dhabi Government.
- Advising SKAI Holding on the structuring, development, financing and construction of a USD1 billion 5-star hotel on Palm Jumeirah in Dubai.
- Advising DB Masdar Clean Tech Fund on a venture capital investment into a US-based early stage specialty chemicals company.
- Advising SNC Lavalin as part of the consortium advising the Ministry of Oil of the Republic of Iraq on the USD13.5 billion construction and development of Iraq’s third oil pipeline.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Czech Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Czech Republic (Advocate)~Czech Republic (2001)
- New York~United States (1987)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Stanford University (Master International Policy Studies) (2001)
- Columbia University (J.D.) (1986)
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (B.S. magna cum laude) (1983)