Brendan D. Cook is a member of the Firm's Global Dispute Resolution and the North America Litigation practice groups. He has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in alternative dispute resolution, and is recommended for commercial litigation by the Best Lawyers in America in addition to being an AV Preeminent Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental & Natural Resources by Martindale-Hubbell. Brendan is also recognized by Chambers USA, which states Brendan “is recognized for his work on energy matters and that clients praise him as a hard headed litigator; he knows what he wants and he’ll never stop until he gets it”. He has extensive experience handling international arbitration and litigation cases for oil and gas companies, real estate developers, insurers, industrial utilities, as well as companies involved in the construction, manufacturing, and the energy area. He has tried cases in numerous Texas courts and has arbitrated before the LCIA, ICC, SCC, ICDR, AAA and many other well recognized arbitral institutions.
Brendan has practiced law since 1981 and has extensive business litigation and arbitration experience. He has successfully handled a wide array of cases for major real estate developers, insurers, oil and gas companies, industrial utilities, and other clients generally involved in construction, manufacturing, and the energy arena. Clients include those ranging from individual entrepreneurs to Fortune 100 companies. He has handled domestic and cross border disputes for clients in the United States, France, Turkey, Mexico, Spain, England, Canada, Thailand, and China, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained USD 6 million LCIA award on behalf of international oil field service company due to breach of drilling contracts in relation to oil & gas project in Senegal.
- Represented drilling contractor in ICC hearing in Stockholm, Sweden and secured a USD 45 million award stemming from a dispute regarding the use of drilling rigs in Turkmenistan.
- Represented global supplier of rotating equipment solutions and obtained a USD 15 million ICC award arising from post M&A indemnity claims.
- Obtained multi-million dollar ICC award pursuant to a final hearing in Paris, France on behalf of an international drilling contractor in a matter arising from the breach of a master service contract covering a coalbed methane drilling project in Turkey.
- Represented nationally-recognized consulting firm and obtained a defense verdict in USD 15 million partnership dispute tried in Texas state court.
- Secured multimillion dollar settlement in favor of international oil field service company in connection with ICC proceeding relating to breach of drilling contract relating to oilfield operations in the Ukraine.
- Obtained a directed verdict for a major utility in connection with product liability claims stemming from an oil field explosion.
- Resolved putative class action claims alleging USD 75 million in liability against a multinational telecommunications company for a nominal settlement amount.
- Served as co-counsel in an intellectual property dispute involving trade secrets purloined by ex-employees that resulted in a jury verdict and judgment of USD 17.5 million.
- Secured a jury verdict and take nothing judgment in multimillion dollar premises liability dispute brought against nationally recognized homebuilder.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration - European Users' Council
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Houston Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2000)
- Texas Supreme Court~United States (2000)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1996)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
- Texas~United States (1981)
- University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D.) (1981)
- State University of New York (B.A. Economics) (1978)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.