Filip Boras is an Austrian- and New York-qualified lawyer who frequently handles international arbitration cases related to Southeastern Europe. He is recognized by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global as a leading lawyer for dispute resolution in Central & Eastern Europe. He is a board member of the Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) and executive committee member of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Filip focuses on international commercial and investment arbitration. He is experienced with the major institutional rules and procedures of the ICC, VIAC, ICSID, UNCITRAL and Swiss Rules, as well as representing clients before ad hoc tribunals. He represents clients in energy, corporate, post-merger and acquisition disputes, as well as disputes arising out of investment treaties. Many of these disputes are related to countries of the former Yugoslavia, where his clients benefit from his region-specific experience and his being a native Serbo-Croatian. He is increasingly appointed to act as arbitrator.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing the meat processing company Gavrilović in the first ever ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Croatia.
- Representing a client in post-M&A arbitration arising out of an investment in Croatia.
- Acted for an Asian company in a post-M&A dispute under the Vienna Rules.
- Represented gas companies in contract price revision disputes involving long-term supply and transportation agreements under the Vienna Rules.
- Represented a bank in arbitration involving the effects of insolvency on arbitration in Eastern Europe.
- Advised a US company in the settlement of a multinational product liability dispute.
- Representing shareholders in a corporate dispute under the Swiss Rules.
- Represented a group of shareholders in a corporate ad hoc arbitration involving a major Austrian company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ICSID's Young ICSID - Member
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member of the Executive Committee
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) - Board Member
- Austria (2014)
- New York~United States (2010)
- University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) (2009)
- University of Vienna (2007)
Diwok Hermann Petsche Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.