Mini vandePol is a partner in Baker & McKenzie's Hong Kong office and is the head of Global Compliance Group. She was previously the head of the Asia Pacific Regional Dispute Resolution Group for 5 years. Ms. vandePol has more than 20 years of legal experience in advising and representing companies in a range of dispute and litigation matters. Her understanding of sensitive client issues from the “inside” is of particular benefit when she advises companies on dispute issues, anti-bribery and corruption compliance issues, conflicts of interest and legal professional privilege. She is the trusted advisor of a variety of corporate boards and senior management, working closely with them to manage their dispute matters and assess organizational risk and develop practical and tailored compliance procedures. Ms. vandePol has been listed in the Australian Financial Review's "Best Lawyers" under the Commercial Litigation in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and is noted as one of the "key individuals" in Dispute Resolution by Chambers Global.
Mini's practice focuses on corporate compliance, commercial litigation, insolvency, and banking & finance litigation. Mini also advises clients on compliance issues, including FCPA related issues, bribery and corruption risks, conflicts of interest and legal professional privilege.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a US parent and Australian subsidiary in relation to civil proceedings relating to alleged bribery in India and subsequent US Department of Justice investigation.
- Acting in a large-scale global investigation by a major multinational into an allegation of systemic breaches of the FCPA by its employees in China and in South East Asia, including working closely with the US Department of Justice on behalf of our client to manage the scope and scale of the investigative process.
- Advising a leading Asia Pacific-based multinational on, and carrying out, an internal investigation of activities by its resellers in the Asian region.
- Conducting a compliance due diligence for a US global business seeking to enter into a Joint Venture in India.
- Advising the Australian subsidiary of a US multinational automotive manufacturer on the culture of compliance in India.
- Undertaking a risk assessment of compliance risk for a Australian-based resource company with a footprint throughout Asia Pacific.
- Advising and developing protocols for multinational clients to protect and preserve legal professional privilege in their global operations, including the coordination of local law advice from the Firm’s network of offices.
- Representing clients in both criminal and civil litigation arising from regulator actions.
- Conducting compliance (including FCPA) audits and due diligence checklists for parties that are subject to US laws, and are acquiring, merging and/or partnering with non-US entities.
- Creating compliance programs and conducting training for company employees, senior management and third parties (such as outsourcers).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lawyers Engaged in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association
- Insolvency Practitioners Association of Australia
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Insolvency Interest Group
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.