As the immediate past Chairman of Baker & McKenzie, John Conroy currently serves as Head of the Firm’s Global Strategic Initiatives, responsible for client relationship development, talent growth and CSR initiatives.
A partner since 1987, Mr. Conroy was elected to the Executive Committee of the Firm in 1998. The following year he was elected US Managing Partner, and subsequently became North American Managing Partner, a position he held until being elected chairman in October 2004. Mr. Conroy served two terms as Chairman of Baker & McKenzie’s Executive Committee from 2004 to 2010.
He has also held significant practice management roles throughout his career, including chair of the Global Banking & Finance and Major Projects steering committees and the North America Banking & Finance/Major Projects Practice Group.
Mr. Conroy focuses on international banking and finance law and has extensive experience as counsel to a variety of financial institutions and intermediaries, including banks, export credit agencies and multilateral financial institutions in cross-border credit facilities, securitization, project bonds, leveraged leasing and other structured financings. He has advised custodian and trustee banks on global custody and asset management, as well as investment funds and insurance companies on global securities lending activities. His experience also includes counseling securities clearing agencies and exchanges, as well as depository trust companies, with respect to various cross-border investment services, including securities settlement and collateral management programs.
Mr. Conroy is listed among The Best Lawyers in America in International Trade and Finance law. He has also received the Alumni Merit Award from the Northwestern Alumni Association, an award given to alumni for “high achievements in a profession or field of endeavor.”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Foreign Policy Association Board of Directors - Member
- International Organization for Migration - Member of the Business Advisory Board
- World Economic Forum - Member of the Professional Services Board of Governors
- International Business Leaders Advisory Council for the Mayor of Beijing - Member
- President of the Republic of Kazakhstan's Foreign Investors' Council - Member
- Association for International Mobility - Founding Member
- Law Board of Northwestern University School of Law - Member
- Pro Bono Institute - Member, Board of Directors
- Law Firm Pro Bono Project at Georgetown University Law Center - Member of the Advisory Committee
- Bretton Woods Committee - Member
- Executives Club of Chicago - Member and Secretary of the Board of Directors and Chairman of the Governance Committee
- City of Chicago After School Matters Board of Directors - Member
- Midtown Educational Foundation - Member, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association - Section of Corporation, Legal Banking and Business Law
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1981)
Illinois~United States (1979)
Northwestern University School of Law
Université de Strasbourg
Université Catholique de l'Quest
University of Notre Dame
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.