Gavin Bushell is a partner in the European & Competition Law Practice Group in Brussels, where he advises clients on EU competition, state aid and aviation law. He has more than 10 years of experience practicing law and is a frequent speaker at legal conferences, particularly on aviation matters. Mr. Bushell is chairman of the Law Society, Brussels Section, and co-author of a number of articles on EU competition law. He is also a member of various legal and industry associations such as the European Air Law Association, the European Nuclear Energy Forum, the World Nuclear Association and the European Aviation Club. In March 2012, Mr. Bushell was named by Global Competition Review as one of the top 40 of the world’s leading competition practitioners under the age of 40 in its 40 under 40 survey.
Mr. Bushell focuses on EU competition and state aid law, EU merger control law and aviation law and regulation, and has acted for global companies in various sectors including aviation, banking, beverages, mining, recorded music, manufacturing, packaging and nuclear energy. He has broad experience in all aspects of merger transactions, international cartel and horizontal agreement investigations, state aid proceedings, Article 102 TFEU (abuse of dominance) investigations as well as representing clients in litigation before the General Court of the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg to challenge European Commission decisions. Mr. Bushell has advised and trained clients around the world on creating and implementing competition compliance training programmes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully defended a large international airline in the air cargo cartel investigation before the European Commission and other competition authorities.
- Represented Continental Airlines before the European Commission to obtain Phase I clearance on its merger with United Air Lines.
- Successfully represented the Irish Department of Transport during the European Commission's Phase II investigation into Ryanair's hostile bid for Aer Lingus.
- Represented Alcan before the European Commission to obtain Phase I clearance on its acquisition by Rio Tinto for USD38 billion.
- Represented British Nuclear Fuels Ltd. (BNFL) in the Phase II state aid investigations by the European Commission in British Energy’s restructuring, and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
- Successfully represented Sellafield Limited in the General Court in Luxembourg to challenge a European Commission Euratom Treaty decision.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member