Edward Poulton advises on all aspects of dispute resolution. He is recognised as a leading individual in the field of international arbitration and public international law. Ed joined Baker & McKenzie in 2000. He has worked in Baker & McKenzie's Madrid and Sydney offices and was elected as a partner in the London office in 2010. He speaks fluent French and Spanish.
Ed focuses his practice on both international commercial and investment treaty arbitration as well as in complex litigation. His experience ranges from contract and M&A disputes to more specialist claims in the banking sector and investment treaty claims. He has acted as advisor and advocate in many international arbitrations under the rules of the major arbitral institutions. Ed also sits as arbitrator. Ed's client base covers a wide range of sectors, including financial services, electronics, aviation and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for international companies in two ICSID Additional Facility arbitrations against Mexico (including as one of the advocates at the final hearing).
- Acting for a large Eastern European bank in four ICC arbitrations, involving claims and counterclaims for more than USD3 billion (including as one of the advocates at the final hearing).
- Acting for a major bank defending claims in the Commercial Court brought against it by certain subordinated creditors for actions it took as security trustee in a major restructuring.
- Advising a large multinational company on its possible public international law remedies against regulatory decisions in the UK and around the world.
- Acting for a Singaporean company in an LCIA arbitration claim under a share purchase agreement against Spanish sellers.
- Advising and acting for a number of clients, including The Body Shop International PLC, in defamation and breach of confidence/privacy matters.
- Acting for a publicly listed ISP in dealing with a sequence of requests for information and Norwich Pharmacal applications.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Chamber of Commerce
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Investment Protection Forum of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law
England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
Université Lyon III
(LL.B. English and French Law)
University of East Anglia
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.