Whether copyright is central or subsidiary to your business, it is an area of law which impacts on every business. With the world's largest global intellectual property practice, Baker & McKenzie brings an unrivalled and integrated team of cross-border copyright professionals to help you navigate the often complex world of copyright.
We have extensive experience in the traditional copyright industries — including fashion, music, publishing and film — and particularly focused capabilities in digital media, building on our track record as one of the world's leading legal advisers on technology. Our market-leading team works with copyright holders, users and intermediaries in a wide range of industries and across key jurisdictions. Bringing to bear our expansive global reach and technology experience, we provide the world's foremost businesses with strategic and commercially pragmatic advice in the copyright space.
How We Can Help
Our global copyright team acts for a range of clients across the copyright spectrum, including leading film, games and software producers, TV production companies, publishers, consumer electronics manufacturers, telecommunications, online service providers and fashion houses.
We offer cutting edge advice on product design, comprehensive transactional support on content heavy deals, enforcement solutions and dispute resolution before general courts and copyright tribunals. Our track record includes acting on some of the biggest copyright cases globally, such as advising an Australian-based telecommunications company in a landmark cloud service copyright case, advising a leading provider of online media monitoring services in one of the most significant copyright litigation matters in the United Kingdom relating to internet search technology, and being the pre-eminent film and media lawyers in Spain.
Our experience in this area also includes:
- Claimant and defendant side copyright dispute resolution, before civil courts and specialist copyright tribunals
- Multijurisdictional risk analysis of innovative new products, including new distribution technologies and cloud computing
- Negotiation and preparation of copyright licensing agreements
- Negotiation and preparation of agreements with copyright collecting societies
- Advising leading fashion figures on copyright and design matters
- Advising extensively on online distribution models for ebooks, games, film, music and apps
- Running copyright enforcement programs, including advice on the use of local law enforcement and coordination with local authorities
- Lobbying at national, regional and global levels
What others say
- Managing IP recommends our copyright practice in eight jurisdictions including Australia, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.
- In 2012, Baker & McKenzie was recognized as European Copyright Team of the Year by Managing IP.