Brendan D. Cook is a member of the Firm’s Global Dispute Resolution and the North America Litigation practice groups. He also chairs the Houston office’s Business Development and Marketing Committee. He has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in alternative dispute resolution, and is recommended for commercial litigation by the Best Lawyers in America in addition to being an AV Preeminent Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental & Natural Resources by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Cook has extensive experience handling arbitration and litigation cases for oil and gas companies, real estate developers, insurers, industrial utilities, as well as companies involved in the construction, manufacturing, and the energy area. He has frequently addressed industry trade groups on legal matters related to arbitration, multi-jurisdictional disputes, e-discovery, and other subjects.
Mr. Cook has successfully prosecuted and defended claims both in federal and state courts in Texas and other states around the United States. He has also handled numerous cross-border disputes for clients in other countries — including France, Turkey, Mexico, England, Canada, Thailand and China — and has successfully tried and resolved matters pending before the AAA, LCIA, ICC and other arbitration tribunals. Most of his international arbitration experience involves representing major oil and gas companies, oil service companies and construction owners or contractors in the context of real estate development or project disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained multimillion dollar ICC award pursuant to a final hearing in Paris, France on behalf of an international drilling contractor in a matter arising from the breach of a master service contract covering a coalbed methane drilling project in Turkey.
- Obtained ICC award pursuant to a final hearing in Cairo, Egypt dismissing all claims brought by a distributor claiming breach of a sales representation agreement.
- Represented state-owned oil and gas producer in LCIA arbitration arising out of the construction of a gas gathering center in the Middle East.
- Represented international service company in ad hoc arbitration in Paris, France relating to breach of contract claims pursuant to hydrostatic testing and caliper surveys performed on a pipeline construction project in Turkey.
- Secured multimillion dollar settlement in favor of international oilfield service company in connection with ICC proceeding relating to breach of drilling contract relating to oilfield operations in the Ukraine.
- Represented industry-recognized leader in AAA arbitration stemming from multimillion dollar breach of contract claims under service agreement covering installation of subsea umbilicals.
- Obtained a USD16 million settlement on behalf of the Chapter 7 trustee for a defunct refinery in connection with fraud claims brought against Santa Fe Pacific Pipeline Partners LP.
- Obtained a USD1.7 million AAA arbitration award against major software supplier for breach of license agreement.
- Obtained arbitration award rejecting multimillion dollar environmental claims brought by various neighborhood residents against a local real estate developer and national homebuilder.
- Mediated settlement stemming from breach of contract and fraud claims relating to merger agreement that resulted in USD12 million in cost savings and other benefits realized by NYSE oil and gas producer.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration - European Users' Council
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2011)
Texas Supreme Court~United States (2000)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2000)
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1999)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1998)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1996)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (1993)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
Texas~United States (1981)
University of Tulsa College of Law
State University of New York
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.