Brendan D. Cook is a member of the Firm’s Global Dispute Resolution and the North America Litigation practice groups. He also chairs the Houston office’s Business Development and Marketing Committee. He is recognized by Chambers USA 2015 and also recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in alternative dispute resolution. He is also recommended for commercial litigation by the Best Lawyers in America in addition to being an AV Preeminent Top Rated Lawyer in Energy, Environmental & Natural Resources by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Cook has extensive experience handling arbitration and litigation cases for oil and gas companies, real estate developers, insurers, industrial utilities, as well as companies involved in the construction, manufacturing, and the energy area. He has tried cases in various Texas courts and has arbitrated before the LCIA, ICC, SCC, ICDR and many other well recognized arbitral institutions. He has also frequently addressed industry trade groups on legal matters related to arbitration, multi-jurisdictional disputes, e-discovery, and other subjects.
Mr. Cook has practiced law since 1981 and has extensive business litigation and arbitration experience. He has successfully handled a wide array of cases for major real estate developers, insurers, oil and gas companies, industrial utilities and other clients generally involved in construction, manufacturing and the energy arena. Clients range from individual entrepreneurs to Fortune 100 companies. Mr. Cook has handled numerous cross-border disputes for clients in venues including the United States, France, Turkey, Mexico, Spain, England, Canada, Thailand and China, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
View All »
- Obtained USD6 million LCIA award on behalf of international oil field service company due to breach of drilling contracts in relation to oil & gas project in Senegal.
- Represented drilling contractor in ICC hearing in Stockholm, Sweden and secured a USD45 million award stemming from a dispute regarding the use of drilling rigs in Turkmenistan.
- Obtained multi-million dollar ICC award pursuant to a final hearing in Paris, France on behalf of an international drilling contractor in a matter arising from the breach of a master service contract covering a coalbed methane drilling project in Turkey.
- Represented nationally-recognized consulting firm and obtained a defense verdict in USD15 million partnership dispute tried in Texas state court.
- Obtained ICC award pursuant to a final hearing in Cairo, Egypt dismissing all claims brought by a distributor claiming breach of a sales representation agreement.
- Represented international service company in ad hoc arbitration in Paris, France relating to breach of contract claims pursuant to hydrostatic testing and caliper surveys performed on a pipeline construction project in Turkey.
- Secured multimillion dollar settlement in favor of international oil field service company in connection with ICC proceeding relating to breach of drilling contract relating to oilfield operations in the Ukraine.
- Obtained a directed verdict for a major utility in connection with product liability claims stemming from an oil field explosion.
- Resolved putative class action claims alleging USD75 million in liability against a multinational telecommunications company for a nominal settlement amount.
- Served as co-counsel in an intellectual property dispute involving trade secrets purloined by ex-employees that resulted in a jury verdict and judgment of USD17.5 million.
- Secured a take nothing judgment in connection with defense of multimillion dollar breach of contract and fraud claims brought by a limited partnership against a national real estate developer.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- London Court of International Arbitration - European Users' Council
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America - Fellow
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2011)
Texas Supreme Court~United States (2000)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2000)
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1999)
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1998)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (1996)
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (1993)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (1985)
Texas~United States (1981)
University of Tulsa College of Law
State University of New York
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.