Ben Allgrove is a partner in the Firm’s Intellectual Property and IT/Com Practice Groups in London, where he advises on contentious and noncontentious media, technology, and intellectual property. A Rhodes Scholar, he was named E-Commerce Lawyer of the Year (UK) in the ILO Client Choice Awards 2011, Assistant Solicitor of the Year in the British Legal Awards in 2009, and was recognized as a "a standout lawyer" in Chambers UK, "well known particularly for his expertise in digital platforms.” Ben is also a qualified solicitor advocate.
Ben frequently works with clients on matters involving the cross-over space of media, IP and technology. His practice includes acting on major IP and IT disputes, with a particular focus on copyright and technology disputes, content licensing and regulation, privacy, e-commerce and regulatory issues. Ben also has considerable lobbying experience, and has conducted oral advocacy in the Copyright Tribunal, High Court and County Court on behalf of his clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on cutting edge content licensing issues related to cloud computing.
- Advising a leading online gaming platform on rights and content licensing.
- Acting in landmark Meltwater litigation in the UK Supreme Court and CJEU.
- Advised a market-leading online video platform on broadcast and advertising regulation in the UK and across Europe.
- Regularly advises on privacy and interception issues related to e-commerce, behaviourally targeted and location-based advertising.
- Acted for IREX in relation to freedom of information laws in Yemen and Georgia and PILI, in respect of freedom of information laws in Nepal.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society for Computers & Law (SCL)
- Anglo-Australasian Lawyers Society (AALS)
- Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates (SAHCA)
- Trademarks & Brands Online (Newton Media) - Editorial Board Member
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
South Australia~Australia (2002)
New South Wales~Australia (2002)
High Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
Federal Court of Australia~Australia (2002)
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.