Alfonso Cortez Fernandez joined the Firm in 1996. He is a partner in the Monterrey office and the current head of the office’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He has 16 years of experience in his area of practice and is highly knowledgeable in a wide range of litigation matters. Mr. Cortez Fernandez has been a member of the law faculty at the Universidad Cervantina, and is also a member of the Phi Delta Phi international law fraternity and the Barra Mexicana de Abogados. Mr. Cortez Fernandez is the vice-president of the Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, Colegio de Abogados A.C. - Sección Nuevo León (ANADE) [National Association of Corporate Counsel, College of Lawyers, A.C.] for the two year term, 2013 - 2015.
Mr. Cortez Fernandez focuses his practice on domestic and international insolvency proceedings. He is seasoned in administrative litigation, particularly in connection with public biddings and insolvency proceedings. He also handles litigation in the areas of civil, commercial and constitutional law, and frequently advises on alternate dispute resolution, including domestic and international arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing clients in constitutional rights protection (amparo) lawsuit litigation, claiming the unconstitutional nature of various domestic laws and procedures that arise from the same, such as condemnation laws, laws regulating pawnshops, general health law and general law on tobacco control, etc.
- Advising clients in insolvency, bankruptcy, and reorganization proceedings.
- Advising clients in commercial and civil litigation proceedings regarding the execution of credit agreements, stockholders’ rights, trusts, mortgages, insurance and collateral.
- Advising clients in proceedings for the execution in Mexico of arbitration awards or sentences rendered abroad.
- Advising clients in all kinds of administrative litigation in connection with permits, concessions, administrative agreements, and in connection with business shutdown and fines or penalties imposed by administrative authorities.
- Advised diverse multinational companies regarding Mexican class action regulations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Attorneys (ANADE) - Member
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P. - Member
- International Chamber of Commerce - Member
Georgetown University Law Center
(Diploma Legal English)
Instituto de la Judicatura Federal, México
(Diploma Constitutional Actions)
University of Monterrey
(Licenciado en Derecho Honors)
(Diploma International Business)
Carlos III University
(Diploma European Union Law)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.