Denis Khabarov is a partner in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie and the head of the IP Tech Practice Group of Baker McKenzie in Russia and CIS.
For many years, Denis was a member of the Firm's EMEA IP Practice Group Steering Committee. Since 2012, Denis Khabarov is the chairman of the working group on parallel imports of the Association of European Businesses in Moscow.
Denis is a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), actively involved in the work of INTA subcommittees and project groups. Since 2013 Denis was acting as a member of the Parallel Imports Committee of the INTA.
Since 2015 Denis is a member of the working group on parallel imports of the Eurasian Economic Commission, a governing body of the Eurasian Economic Union.
Denis has experience in intellectual property and dispute resolution, including general IP advice and enforcement, arbitration and litigation. His primary practice focus are complex litigations in the area of trademarks, patents and copyrights.
- Advised major multinational companies on issues of trademark, patent and company/trade name protection in Russia.
- Advised major multinational companies on issues involving patent and trademark litigation and enforcement, anti-counterfeiting issues.
- Represented major multinational companies in multiple trademark and patent related litigations.
- Advised and represented major multinational companies in litigations with collecting societies.
- Advised multinational companies on protection of trade secrets and licensing.
- Advised major multinational companies on personal data protection issues.
- Successfully defended client's Eurasian patent that protects client's blockbuster combinatory medication Truvada, effective inter alia for the treatment of HIV.
- Successfully represented a major computer and mobile device producer in a complex and lengthy patent infringement court action initiated by an inventor. The latter filed a patent infringement action against our client alleging that his utility model patent covering a device with a certain SOS function that he had patented has been used in all new mobile phones produced by our client and requested the court to enjoin our client from selling such mobile phones in the Russian market.
- Advised German corporation providing retail and retail banking hardware, software, and services on the restructuring of its Russian business in order to make it compliant with the legislative changes limiting the purchases of foreign software for state and municipal needs, including by the Russian state owned companies, and establishing requirements for the registration of the relevant software in the Unified Register of the Russian Software and Database.
- Successfully represented a US multinational mobile device and personal computer manufacturer and software developer in a dispute initiated by a Russian company for alleged trademark infringement related to the use of its trademark in computer software sold via the client.
Членство в профессиональных организациях
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Europe & Central Asia Subcommittee of the Parallel Imports Committee member (2014-2015)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - AEB Working Group against Parallel Imports Committee chairman (2012)
- Eurasian Economic Commission, a governing body of the Eurasian Economic Union - Working Group on Parallel Imports member (2015-present)
- Moscow City Bar
Допуск к практике
- Россия (2000)
- Российский университет дружбы народов (Masters Degree with honors) (2002)
- Российский университет дружбы народов (диплом юриста with honors) (2000)
Mr. Khabarov has authored and co-authored a number of articles in Russian and foreign publications. Mr. Khabarov is a regular speaker at various professional conferences and roundtables.
- Co-author, "Russian Federation: The government approves agreement on regional Eurasian trademarks," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 25 September 2020