Rose Zhu is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Beijing and Hong Kong offices. She has gathered extensive experience in cross-border transactions, some of which are high-profile, ground-breaking transactions. She has practiced in the United States, Hong Kong, and China, and is included in Strathmore’s Who’s Who Directory.
Ms. Zhu's major clients include COFCO, China Foods, Sinochem Corp., China Construction Bank, Agricultural Bank of China, China Minmetals Corporation, China Development Bank, China CITIC Bank, CNIC Corporation, Postal Savings Bank of China, Bank of China, Guodian Technology & Environment, Three Gorges International, Chalco, Shanghai Railway Bureau, Chongqing Machinery, Kunming Dianchi Water, Guangshen Railways, PPG, IBM, Lucent, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, JPMorgan, UBS and Credit Suisse, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented COFCO Limited in its acquisition of Chinatex Corporation.
- Represented China Foods in the RMB 611 million sale of COFCO Le Conte Food (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.
- Represented China Minmetals Corporation on its strategic restructuring with China Metallurgical Group Corporation.
- Represented Sinochem in its proposed acquisition of Nufarm, a company listed on the Australia Stock Exchange.
Capital Markets Transactions
- Represented Guodian Technology & Environment Group Corporation Limited in its USD 363 million IPO in Hong Kong.
- Represented the underwriters (led by CICC, Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, J.P. Morgan, Macquarie and ABCI) in connection with Agricultural Bank of China’s USD 22.1 billion dual listing in Hong Kong and Shanghai.
- Represented the underwriters (Citigroup Global Markets, HSBC, J.P. Morgan, DBS Bank Ltd., Goldman Sachs, Standard Chartered and UBS AG) in connection with the establishment of USD 5 billion Medium Term Note Programme established by Sinochem Hong Kong (Group) Company Limited.
- Represented HNA Capital Group Co., Ltd. in connection with its offshore SPV’s offering of USD 200 million and the tap offering of USD 30 million 4.5% bonds due 2018; these bonds were guaranteed by a third party guarantor, China United SME Guarantee Corporation, and underwritten by Barclays Bank, Bank of China, China Everbright Securities and Guotian Junan International.
Banks and Financial Institutions
- One of the “Foreign Legal Experts” recognized by the China Banking Regulatory Commission.
- Representing China CITIC Bank, China Minsheng Bank and China Development Bank in connection with their various cross-border leveraged finance transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Finalist, Financial Times 2016 Innovation in Finance Law Award
- Member, Strathmore’s Who’s Who Directory
- New York~United States (2000)
- Stanford Law School (JD with honors) (1997)
- Duquesne University (MA Public Policy) (1992)
- Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (LLB with honors) (1990)