Sergei focuses on the wealth management work and has particular experience in designing of the tax efficient structures (including holding companies, financial companies, funds, private trust companies and family offices), and in providing advice on pre-M&A tax structuring and post M&A business integration. Sergei also supervises advising on various employee long-term incentive plans (including stock options and other share incentive plans). Sergei is a member of the Firm's European Wealth Management Steering Committee.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a global trust company on the set-up of a disclosed and CFC compliant family trust settled by an ultra high net worth Russian family for the benefit of their multiple children and elderly parents, taxation of the trust under the Russian CFC rules, tax-efficient transfer of assets to the trust, new Russian tax exemptions related to distributions to family members from trusts.
- Advising a leading financial services company on the set-up of a disclosed and CFC compliant family trust settled by the same ultra high net worth Russian family.
- Advising a major trust company on the tailoring of the trust documentation for foreign trusts of Russian resident high net worth clients and taxation of foreign trusts of Russian residents under the Russian CFC rules.
- Advising an independent asset manager with clients in Asia, Europe and Latin America, on the taxation of a foreign trust of a Russian high net worth family under the Russian CFC rules.
- Advising ultra high net worth family on revising trust structure with multiple real property companies holding real property in Russia and other jurisdictions in view of Russian CFC rules and automatic disclosure of information, tailoring trust documentation.
- Advising on setting up a New-Zealand Trust to safeguard Russian operating company, reduce disclosure and plan succession in the family.
- Advising on restructuring of holding function in a cross-border furniture supply business operating in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Romania, management buy-out and liquidation of foreign holding companies in Cyprus and BVI.
- Consulting of international insurance companies with regard to development of life insurance policies for Russian high net worth individuals and with regard to compliance of life insurance policies with Russian tax and legal provisions.
- Consulting a Swiss private wealth management company serving high net worth individuals on application of Russian currency control rules, repatriation of funds and taxation of foreign portfolio investment income of Russian individuals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Moscow City Bar
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Russia (1995)
- Institute of State & Law of the Russian Academy of Sciences (2001)
- Moscow State University Law Faculty (Law Degree Tax) (1995)
- Со-author, "Russia, India, and Others Revise Tax Treaties to Fund COVID Relief," Baker McKenzie Private Wealth Newsletter, December 2020
- Co-author, "Russia: Wealthy Russian residents may opt to pay individual income tax on fixed CFC profits," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 29 October 2020
- Co-author, "Russia: New protocol to Russia-Cyprus tax treaty increases tax rates," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 16 September 2020
- Co-author, "Russia Ready to Withdraw From Tax Treaty with Cyprus," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, August 2020
- Co-author, "Individuals can Voluntarily Qualify as Tax Residents in Only 90 Days in 2020," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, August 2020
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.