Hannah N. Zarkar is an associate in the London office. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked as a summer associate in 2012 at Baker McKenzie’s Washington, DC and Buenos Aires, Argentina offices. In addition, she served as a law clerk at the American Red Cross National Headquarters’ Office of the General Counsel, focusing primarily on legal projects in the area of employment law. Ms. Zarkar also interned for Hamburg Coffee Company, Hacofco GmbH, in Hamburg, Germany, where she aided in the purchase and sale of coffee on the International Coffee Exchange (ICE).
Ms. Zarkar’ s practice focuses on international trade. She advises clients on compliance with US export controls, trade and economic sanctions, and anti-boycott controls. Ms. Zarkar also advises US and non-US companies on licensing, enforcement actions, internal investigations and compliance audits, mergers and acquisitions and other cross-border transactions, and on the design, implementation, and administration of compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised companies on various compliance issues related to sanctions programs administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, including US sanctions targeting Russia, Iran, Cuba, and Specially Designated Nationals.
- Counseled companies on compliance with the Iran Sanctions Act; the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010; Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012; Executive Orders 13608 (foreign sanctions evaders),13622, 13645; and Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act.
- Provided compliance advice to companies with respect to US export controls and trade sanctions, including drafting and submitting license applications and classification requests to OFAC and the Bureau of Industry and Security.
- Advised US and non-US companies in the context of enforcement actions and internal investigations, including preparing and drafting disclosures to OFAC, BIS, the Office of Antiboycott Compliance, and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Provided in-person training to multinational business personnel on international trade compliance matters.
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- California~United States (2013)
- George Washington University Law School (J.D. Honors) (2013)
- University of California at Berkeley (B.A. Spanish Language & Literature Highest Honors) (2010)
- University of California at Berkeley (B.A. Political Science High Honors) (2010)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Study Abroad Program High Honors) (2009)
- Washington, DC
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.