Alicja Zalewska is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property/Information Technology group in Warsaw. She has practiced IP law since 2013, having worked for the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO, previously OHIM) on the Board of Appeal, at the Opposition Division and the Cancellation Division. Alicja is an advocate at the Warsaw District Bar Council and a PhD candidate at Complutense University in Madrid. She is authorized to represent clients before civil, criminal and administrative courts, the Polish Patent and Trade Mark Office as well as before EUIPO and WIPO.
Alicja is experienced in IP-related litigation, particularly trademarks, designs and unfair competition. She advises clients from various industries, including FMCG, pharmaceutical and tobacco sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
- Working on EUIPO first- and second-instance decisions in opposition and cancellation proceedings concerning numerous renowned trademarks.
- Assessing proof of trademarks' use, reputation, and acquired distinctiveness in opposition and cancellation proceedings before EUIPO.
- Successfully represented a world-renowned producer of perfume and cosmetics in actions against confusingly similar trademarks.
- Successfully advised and represented Poland's biggest consumer electronics retailer in a dispute with the Polish Patent and Trade Mark Office related to the notion of acquired distinctiveness.
- Representing renowned multinational consumer goods producer in enforcement actions against unlawful and generic use of its trademarks.
- Advising a leading FMCG company in civil litigation over lookalike products and unfair competition claims.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar of Advocates - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- INTA Trademark Office Practices Committee - Member
- Poland (2017)
- University of Warsaw (Master of Laws) (2013)
- University of Valencia (LLP Erasmus) (2011)
- British Center for English and European Legal Studies (2010)
Baker & McKenzie Krzyzowski i Wspólnicy Spólka Komandytowa