Sonia Yung practices in the area of corporate and securities law, and is recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada (Woodward/White) as a leading lawyer in Securities Law (2011-2016), as well as Natural Resources Law (2015-2016). Her practice is focused on corporate finance matters, including public and private financings and mergers and acquisitions on behalf of Canadian and international companies and securities dealers. She was seconded for six months to the Ontario Securities Commission.
Sonia has significant experience in the area of public and private financings by both private and public issuers in various industries, including life sciences, mining and exploration, financial services, emerging technologies and industrial manufacturing. She has experience in public company and investment fund regulatory compliance matters and in dealing with stock exchanges and securities regulatory authorities across Canada and in the United States.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented GMP Securities LP, Bloom Burton & Co. Limited and Barclays Capital Inc. on a brokered equity private placement and syndicated loan to finance in part the acquisition by HLS Therapeutics Inc. of the U.S. and Canadian rights to Clozaril® (clozapine) from Novartis AG.
- Advised Bloom Burton Healthcare Lending Trust in connection with the establishment of the Trust as a non-redeemable investment fund and subsequent financing led by GMP Securities LP.
- Represented Sprott Inc. and principal shareholder in $69 million secondary offering by way of short form prospectus
- Advised YM BioSciences Inc. in the USD 510 million acquisition by Gilead Sciences, Inc. by way of plan of arrangement.
- Advised Sprott Physical Gold Trust in its initial public offering and subsequent offerings totalling USD 1.5 billion.
- Advised Sprott Physical Silver Trust in its initial public offering and subsequent offerings totalling over USD 1 billion.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (1994)
- British Columbia~Canada (1994)
- University of Ottawa (LL.B.) (1992)
- University of Manitoba (B.A. Honours) (1988)
Speaker, "MBA in a Day for Lawyers," Ontario Bar Association, April 2015, April 2016
Speaker, Sponsor Panel, Bloom Burton & Co. Pre-Venture Symposium, Heathcare Investor Conference, June 2014
Speaker, "8-Minute Updates: Business Law," June 2013
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.