Jo-Fan Yu is a partner and member of Baker McKenzie Information, Technology, Communications (IT/C) and Telecoms, Media, and Technology (TMT) groups in Taipei. Having worked for Google as its Taiwan and Hong Kong policy head as well as local counsel for global internet companies for several years, Jo-Fan has vast experience in providing legal and policy advice to the technology industry focusing on privacy issues, data protection, content regulation, and IP-related issues. As a former senior prosecutor, she has gained extensive experience in handling high-profile litigations and criminal investigations.
Jo-Fan focuses her practice on ITC, media, telecom and dispute resolution.
Representative Legal Matters
ITC and TMT
- Acted as local counsel for an internet giant in relation to IP contracts, privacy issues, data protection, content regulation, anti-competition and IP-related issues.
- Advised a social media company in relation to its online music services in Taiwan.
- Advised US-based international entertainment companies regarding their online film services in Taiwan.
- Advised a Taiwan telecom giant in relation to the use of users’ data.
- Advised a US-based international retail company in relation to its e-commerce business in Taiwan.
- Acted as lead counsel for a US-based internet giant in its trademark infringement case and anti-competition investigations.
- Acted as lead counsel for Taiwan IC design houses and manufacturing giants in trade secret litigations and anti-competition cases.
- Acted as lead counsel and advised multinational IT companies in various IP infringement investigations.
- Acted as lead counsel for a US-based luxury commodity company in relation to criminal money laundering and tax investigations.
- Represented Taiwan and US-based manufacturing companies in relation to various commercial disputes in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Technology Committee Member
- Taipei Bar Association - Antitrust Committee Member
- Taipei~Taiwan (1998)
- London School of Economics (LL.M., ) (British Trade and Cultural Office (BTCO) Scholarship) (2006)
- University of Utrecht (LL.M.) (2005)
- National Judicial Exam, Taiwan (1998)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1997)