Aiko Yamada has more than a decade of experience in the legal profession. She serves as counsel at the Baker McKenzie Tokyo office, and serves as a member of the Firm's Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions group and the Pharmaceutical / Life Science Industry Group. Previously, Ms. Yamada worked in the Firm's New York office, where she handled several cross-border and US-based transactions. From April 2010 to June 2011, she was seconded to a US medical device company as a full-time legal counsel. She has been continuing to provide legal advice to an association composed of medical device companies. From February 2012 to March 2015, she was seconded to a Japanese telecommunications company as a part-time legal counsel.
Ms. Yamada is seasoned in structuring, negotiating and implementing various business and finance transactions. In addition to M&A, compliance and corporate governance, she provides general corporate counseling, including counseling on laws and regulations related to the pharmaceutical/life science field. Her experience includes advising on finance and securities issues, corporate governance issues, business partnership matters, corporate restructuring projects, human resources issues, the creation of stock option plans, the documentation of compliance and other corporate rules, and the implementation of legal due diligence for M&A transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a Japanese food company in connection with its acquisition of an Australian food company.
- Represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in connection with its acquisition of a Swiss pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a US pharmaceutical company in connection with its global reorganization.
- Represented a US medical device company in connection with its domestic and cross-border alliances.
- Represented a Japanese telecommunications company in connection with its domestic and cross-border acquisitions and alliances.
- Advised a Japanese IT company’s shareholders with respect to the sale of shares held by them.
- Advised a US pharmaceutical company with respect to corporate governance, including management of an external helpline for its Japanese subsidiary.
- Advised a French logistic service company with respect to its acquisition of a logistic business in Japan.
- Advised companies with respect to legal advice and guidance specializing in day-to-day compliance issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Member
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2007)
- Japan (2000)
- Columbia University School of Law (LL.M.) (2006)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (2000)
- Sophia University (LL.B.) (1996)
Co-author , “Cross-border M&A Practice,” Chuokeizai-sha, Inc, July 2008
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.