Yuri Yakhin is an associate in the Moscow office of Baker McKenzie. Yuri specializes in a wide range of IP matters such as copyright, software and database, trademark, geographical origins. Yuri has significant experience in resolution of complicated disputes concerning different IP items, elaboration strategies of companies in IP area, support of clients in various IP-related transactions, anti-counterfeiting activity. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Yuri was the head of Group Practice at a Russian law firm.
Yuri is a registered trademark attorney.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represented a leading foreign investor in a number of disputes in IP Court, including one that was first in Russia regarding attempts of invalidation of a well-known trademark of the client.
- Successfully represented an international pharmaceutical manufacturer in Chamber for Patent Disputes and in IP Court in disputes against generics manufacturer regarding patentability of the client’s invention.
- Successfully represented a Russian manufacturer in a number of disputes concerning geographical origins.
- Developed a set of intercompany documents regulating software and database work-for-hire for Russian branch of globally integrated company on market of professional services.
- Drafted a bill in the digital economy area, including supporting in different state bodies and particularly in Russian Federation Presidential Council for Codification and Improvement of the Civil Legislation.
- Represented the biggest world sports organization in negotiations with Russian state bodies responsible for IP matters within a framework of Russian Governmental Guarantees. Participated in drafting of regulations on behalf of the client.
- Represented the biggest European sports organization in negotiations with Russian state bodies responsible for IP matters within a framework of Russian Governmental Guarantees.
- Successfully represented one of the biggest sports leagues in Northern America in a trademark dispute.
- Prepared the IP section in a number of due diligences, including asset deals for pharmaceutical companies.
- Successfully represented a big development company in a dispute on non-use trademark cancellation for a new hotel developed by the client.
- Developed a strategy for the biggest publishing house in trademark registration, use and defense. As a result, the publishing house managed to obtain a share in the competitor’s revenues.
- Represented a development company in a court of appeal and a cassation court in a trademark dispute. Court of first instance granted claims against the client in amount of a few of its annual revenues. The court of appeal dismissed the judgment and rejected the claims; the cassation court upheld it.
- Represented a mineral water manufacturer in a first trademark dispute against Trademark Office and a Crimean company in IP Court regarding a “Crimean trademark.” The court satisfied the client’s claims.
- Successfully represented a global steel company in a number of disputes concerning patent infringement and patentability of utility models and industrial designs.
- Support of a criminal investigation against trademark infringers manufactured fake anti-cancer medication.
- Successfully represented a Northern European manufacturer of cloths in a precedent-setting domain name dispute.
- Advised a large US-based filmmaking company on a copyright ownership to M.A. Bulgakov famous novel “Master and Margarita.”
- Develop a strategy for a coffee producer and distributor in connection to possible claims from a competitor, supporting implementation pf the strategy. As a result, the competitor abandoned the claims.
- Represented a leader of development market in IP Court in a series of trademark disputes on challenge of Trademark Office’s decisions. Trademark Office recognized all the claims and voluntarily registered the client’s trademarks.
- Best Lawyer since 2018
- IP Star since 2016
- Chambers Europe 2019 (Associates to watch)
- Mentioned in Legal500 and WTR1000 in 2019 and before.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademarks Association member, participant of Working Group on Parallel Imports of Association of European Business
- Moscow State Teacher Training University (Post Graduate) (2007)
- Moscow State Teacher Training University (Law ) (2004)