Gillian advises a range of corporations, including high profile consumer brand corporations, established media companies, and clients in the resources sector. Before joining Baker McKenzie in 2004, Gillian worked with a leading Singaporean firm as a senior associate for close to four years where she also focused on trade mark advisory work. She is currently the chair of the NSW committee of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand, as well as a member of the Copyright Society of Australia, and the Law Society of New South Wales.
Gillian advises clients on trade mark availability and/or registration in Australia and Papua New Guinea, including in connection with product launches involving extensive publicity, corporate re-branding, as well as challenging trade marks. She represents clients in trade mark opposition proceedings in Australia and assists in the enforcement of trade mark rights, in addition to negotiating and drafting agreements relating to the use or sale of trade marks, often in the course of opposition or conflict matters. She also manages client portfolios of trade mark rights in numerous countries, including assisting in registration and disputes. Gillian advises on other aspects of intellectual property law, including passing off, misleading and deceptive conduct, designs, copyright, domain names and patents.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises a range of corporations including high profile consumer brand corporations, established media companies, as well as corporations operating in the resources sector.
- Responsible for the Australian trade marks of a global FMCG corporation which is known to be one of the largest trade mark owners in the world, an international group of companies which operates wholly owned and franchised restaurants under major brands, a world leader enterprise software company as well as a US corporation owning a portfolio of prestige and well known cosmetics and beauty care brands.
- Manages international trade mark portfolios of a number of clients including a national broadcaster and a US based licensor of well known food brands.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia - Chair of the NSW Committee
- Copyright Society of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales~Australia (2003)
- Singapore (1996)
- National University of Singapore (1995)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.